05/11/2023: Lab Advisory: COVID-19 Laboratory Reporting Requirements Update
Audience: Laboratory and Testing Professionals
Level: Laboratory Advisory
The federal COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE) declaration will end on May 11, 2023. As a result of the PHE expiration, HHS and CLIA regulatory requirements under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Authority requiring reporting of laboratory test data to the federal government will also end.
Laboratories may be required to continue reporting COVID-19 test results to their state health departments. Please check your state-specific reporting requirements to ensure compliance.
CDC will update the How to Report COVID-19 Laboratory Data page to reflect these changes.
- End of the Federal COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE) Declaration
- COVID-19 Surveillance After Expiration of the Public Health Emergency Declaration
- CDC COVID-19 Homepage
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- If you are a clinical or public health laboratory professional, contact LOCS.
- For media inquiries, contact the CDC Newsroom.
- For all other questions, contact CDC-INFO.