Goals and Benefits of Data Interoperability
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has revised public health reporting requirements for eligible clinicians participating in the 2022 Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Promoting Interoperability Performance Categoryexternal icon and for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) participating in the 2022 Medicare Promoting Interoperability Programexternal icon. Eligible clinicians, hospitals, and CAHs may select an EHR reporting period of a minimum of any continuous 90-day period in the 2022 calendar year.
The goal of data interoperability is to improve electronic reporting to public health and ultimately improve patient care. CMS requires eligible hospitals, CAHs, and clinicians to adopt, implement, and upgrade various applications of certified EHR technologies. Benefits include:
- Interoperable data exchange between state, tribal, local, and territorial public health departments and clinical care providers
- Standardized data elements for data exchange
- Improved efficiency across the healthcare and public health system
Public Health Registry and Clinical Data Registry Reporting Objective in the Promoting Interoperability Programs include the following measures:
- Electronic Case Reporting
- Electronic Reportable Laboratory Test Reporting (for hospitals only)
- Immunization Registry Reporting
- Syndromic Surveillance Reporting
- Public Health Registries Reporting*
- Clinical Data Registries Reporting
a) Cancer reporting by eligible professionals and clinicians only to state cancer registries
b) Reporting data by eligible professionals, clinicians, hospitals, and CAHs to CDC/NCHS on Health Care Surveys
c) Reporting data by eligible hospitals and CAHs to CDC/NHSN programs on antibiotic use and antibiotic resistance
- Eligible clinicians will be required to report on two measures (Immunization Registry Reporting and Electronic Case Reporting).
- Eligible hospitals and CAHs will be required to report on four measures (Syndromic Surveillance Reporting, Immunization Registry Reporting, Electronic Case Reporting, and Electronic Reportable Laboratory Result Reporting) or claim applicable exclusions.
- The 2015 edition of Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT)external icon will be required.