In 2006, the United States experienced a multi-state outbreak involving 6584 reported cases of mumps. This resurgence predominantly affected Midwestern college students with the highest attack rates occurring among those living in dormitories. In the following two years, the number of reported cases returned to usual levels, and outbreaks involved fewer than 20 cases.
However, beginning in July 2009, the largest U.S. mumps outbreak since 2006 has occurred. The index case was an 11-year-old boy who had returned on June 17 from the United Kingdom where an ongoing mumps outbreak involves more than 4000 cases. Because of the potential for more extensive disease transmission, efforts should be made to heighten surveillance for mumps and assure that children and adults are appropriately vaccinated against this disease.
Questions and Answers
- Outbreak-Related Questions and Answers for Patients
- Outbreak-Related Questions and Answers for Healthcare Providers
2009-2010 Mumps Outbreak Articles
For more information about the 2009-2010 outbreak, please refer to the following articles:
- Update: Mumps Outbreak — New York and New Jersey, June 2009–January 2010
MMWR Vol 59, No 5;February 12, 2010
- Mumps Outbreak -- New York, New Jersey, Quebec, 2009
MMWR Vol 57, No 58(Dispatch);1-4 November 12, 2009
2006 Mumps Outbreak Articles
For more information about the 2006 outbreak, please see the following articles:
- Mumps vaccination coverage and vaccine effectiveness in a large outbreak among college students--Iowa, 2006.
Vaccine Vol 26, No 29-30;3601-3607 July 04, 2008
- Mumps Vaccine Performance Among University Students During a Mumps Outbreak.
Clin Inf Dis 46: 1172–1180 04/15/2008
- Recent Resurgence of Mumps in the United States.
N Engl J Med 358: 1580–9 April 10, 2008
- Update: Mumps Activity -- United States, January 1-October 7, 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 14;283-291 October 27, 2006
- Update: Multistate Outbreak of Mumps -- United States, January 1 - May 2, 2006
MMWR Vol 55 (Dispatch);1-5 May 18, 2006
- CDC Health Advisory—Multi-state Mumps Outbreak (April 14, 2006)
Health Alert Network (CDCHAN-00244-2006-04-15-UPD-N) April 15, 2006
- Exposure to Mumps During Air Travel -- United States, April 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 14;401-402 April 14, 2006
- Exposure to Mumps During Air Travel
MMWR Vol 55(Dispatch);1-2 April 11, 2006
- Mumps Epidemic-Iowa, 2006
MMWR Vol 55(Dispatch);1-3 April 7, 2006
- Dispatch—Mumps Epidemic-Iowa, 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 13;366-368 March 30, 2006
Other Mumps Outbreaks Articles
Information on other mumps outbreaks can be found in the following articles:
- Mumps Resurgences in the United States: A Historical Perspective
Vaccine Vol 27, No 44;6186-95 October 19, 2009
- Mumps Outbreak at a Summer Camp--NY, 2005
MMWR Vol 55, No 07;175-177 February 24, 2006
- Mumps Epidemic-United Kingdom, 2004-2005
MMWR Vol 55, No 07;173-175 February 24, 2006
Mumps Outbreaks Resource
For clinical information about mumps outbreaks, please see the Mumps Case Investigation and Outbreak Control section of the VPD Surveillance Manual.
For clinical information about mumps vaccination during an outbreak, please see the Mumps Vaccine Technical Questions page.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.