Diverse aspects of public health harms related to tobacco lead off this week’s featured articles. After conducting a field investigation of Green Tobacco Sickness in Brazil, P Bartholomay and colleagues conclude that occupational health interventions are needed in tobacco-growing regions. In an analysis published in the American Journal of Public Health, MF Pesko, J Kruger and A Hyland find that adult smokers vary in their use of price minimization strategies, such as purchasing cigarettes in states with lower prices.
Environmental factors-broadly defined- may be of harm or benefit to the individual and to public health. According to data from NHANES, C Ayala and colleagues note that adults with hypertension who attempt to reduce their sodium intake still have average sodium consumption well above recommended levels. While all-terrain vehicle (ATV) related deaths are increasing, data from JC Helmkamp and collaborators indicate that helmet-use requirements may be protective.
HIV and other bloodborne pathogens remain persistent concerns for both the public health and healthcare workforces. HIV posttest counseling either was not documented or did not occur in nearly half of more than 370,000 tests conducted at 24 health department STI clinics, according to E Begley and M Vanhandel. The economics of HIV testing is addressed by PG Farnham, SL Sansom and AB Hutchinson, who write that screening for HIV is cost-effective across a range of testing costs. Inadequate response to exposure to bloodborne pathogens might increase risk for healthcare workers employed in dialysis facilities, according to a policy and practice assessment undertaken by C Mbaeyi et al.
An infectious disease potpourri concludes Science Clips features for the week. An evaluation of the ArboNET surveillance system, led by NP Lindsey, has resulted in technical improvements and revised case definitions. MH Diaz and JM Winchell report development of real-time PCR for detection of the respiratory pathogens Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydophila pneumoniae. An investigation of use of the antibiotic metronidazole during pregnancy by CA Koss et al reassuringly found no association with adverse birth outcomes.
Editor, Science Clips
Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- Assessment of management policies and practices for occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens in dialysis facilities
Mbaeyi C, Panlilio AL, Hobbs C, Patel PR, Kuhar DT.
Am J Kidney Dis. 2012 Jun 26.
- Epidemiologic investigation of an occupational illness of tobacco harvesters in southern Brazil, a worldwide leader in tobacco production
Bartholomay P, Iser BP, Oliveira PP, Santos TE, Malta DC, Sobel J, Moura L.
Occup Environ Med. 2012 Jul;69(7):514-8.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- An outbreak of tuberculosis among adults with mental illness
Cavanaugh JS, Powell K, Renwick OJ, Davis KL, Hilliard A, Benjamin C, Mitruka K.
Am J Psychiatry. 2012 Jun 1;169(6):569-75.
- Medical risk factors for severe West Nile virus disease, United States, 2008-2010
Lindsey NP, Staples JE, Lehman JA, Fischer M.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012 Jul;87(1):179-84.
- Survey of isoniazid preventive therapy in South Africa, 2011
Chehab JC, Vilakazi-Nhlapo K, Vranken P, Peters A, Klausner JD.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Jul;16(7):903-7.
- Impact of patient and program factors on default during treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
Gler MT, Podewils LJ, Munez N, Galipot M, Quelapio MI, Tupasi TE.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Jul;16(7):955-60.
- Virologic suppression in nevirapine-exposed HIV-infected infants initiating antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda
Kay J, Wanzira H, Sandison T, Kakuru A, Bigira V, Kamya M, Homsy J, Tappero JW, Havlir D, Dorsey G, Ruel T.
J Trop Pediatr. 2012 Jun;58(3):194-9.
- Multiple strains of Coxiella burnetii are present in the environment of St. Paul Island, Alaska
Duncan C, Savage K, Williams M, Dickerson B, Kondas AV, Fitzpatrick KA, Guerrero JL, Spraker T, Kersh GJ.
Transbound Emerg Dis. 2012 Jul 2.
- Prenatal exposure to bisphenol A and child wheeze from birth to 3 years of age
Spanier AJ, Kahn RS, Kunselman AR, Hornung R, Xu Y, Calafat AM, Lanphear BP.
Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Jun;120(6):916-20.
- Associations between serum levels of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants and environmental and behavioral factors in pregnant women
Buttke DE, Wolkin A, Stapleton HM, Miranda ML.
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2012 Jul 4.
- Joint toxicity of alkoxyethanol mixtures: contribution of in silico applications
Pohl HR, Ruiz P, Scinicariello F, Mumtaz MM.
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2012 Jun 27.
- Application of change point analysis to daily influenza-like illness emergency department visits
Kass-Hout TA, Xu Z, McMurray P, Park S, Buckeridge DL, Brownstein JS, Finelli L, Groseclose SL.
J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012 Jul 3.
- Analysis of base and codon usage by rubella virus
Zhou Y, Chen X, Ushijima H, Frey TK.
Arch Virol. 2012 May;157(5):889-99.
- Utility of multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (mlpa) for hemophilia mutation screening
Payne A, Bean C, Hooper W, Miller C.
J Thromb Haemost. 2012 Jul 3.
- Gender differences in sexual risk behaviours and sexually transmissible infections among adolescents in mental health treatment
Seth P, Lang DL, Diclemente RJ, Braxton ND, Crosby RA, Brown LK, Hadley W, Donenberg GR.
Sex Health. 2012 Jul;9(3):240-6.
- HIV screening practices for living organ donors, New York State, 2010: need for standard policies
Kwan CK, Al-Samarrai T, Smith LC, Sabharwal CJ, Valente KA, Torian LV, McMurdo LM, Shepard CW, Brooks JT, Kuehnert MJ.
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Jul 2.
- Post-licensure experience with rotavirus vaccination in high and middle income countries; 2006 to 2011
Lopman BA, Payne DC, Tate JE, Patel MM, Cortese MM, Parashar UD.
Curr Opin Virol. 2012 Jun 29.
- Fulfilling the promise of rotavirus vaccines: how far have we come since licensure?
Patel MM, Glass R, Desai R, Tate JE, Parashar UD.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2012 Jul;12(7):561-70.
- Influenza vaccination in the 2009-2010 pandemic season: the experience of primary care physicians
O'Leary ST, Stokley S, Crane LA, Allison MA, Hurley LP, Wortley P, Babbel CI, Beaty BL, Gahm C, Kempe A.
Prev Med. 2012 Jul;55(1):68-71.
- Pattern of antimicrobial susceptibility obtained from blood isolates of a rare but emerging human pathogen, Gordonia polyisoprenivorans
Moser BD, Pellegrini GJ, Lasker BA, Brown JM.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Jul 2.
- Characterization of extended-spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg isolated from food animals, retail meat, and humans in the United States 2009
Folster JP, Pecic G, Singh A, Duval B, Rickert R, Ayers S, Abbott J, McGlinchey B, Bauer-Turpin J, Haro J, Hise K, Zhao S, Fedorka-Cray PJ, Whichard J, McDermott PF.
Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2012 Jul;9(7):638-45.
- Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy for analysis of micro and nanoparticles
Diwakar PK, Loper KH, Matiaske AM, Hahn DW.
J Anal At Spectrom. 2012 ;27(7):1110-1119.
- Potential non-pneumococcal confounding of PCR-based determination of serotype in carriage
Carvalho MD, Jagero G, Bigogo GM, Junghae M, Pimenta FC, Moura I, Roundtree A, Li Z, Conklin L, Feikin DR, Breiman RF, Whitney CG, Beall B.
J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Jul 3.
- Ultralong C100 mycolic acids support the assignment of segniliparus as a new bacterial genus
Hong S, Cheng TY, Layre E, Sweet L, Young DC, Posey JE, Butler WR, Moody DB.
PLoS One. 2012 ;7(6):e39017.
- New insights into fluoroquinolone resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: functional genetic analysis of gyrA and gyrB mutations
Malik S, Willby M, Sikes D, Tsodikov OV, Posey JE.
PLoS One. 2012 ;7(6):e39754.
- Evaluation of a new serological technique for detecting rabies virus antibodies following vaccination
Ma X, Niezgoda M, Blanton JD, Recuenco S, Rupprecht CE.
Vaccine. 2012 Jun 26.
- Are children with birth defects at higher risk of childhood cancers?
Carozza SE, Langlois PH, Miller EA, Canfield M.
Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Jun 15;175(12):1217-24.
- Knowledge of energy balance guidelines and associated clinical care practices: the U.S. National Survey of Energy Balance Related Care among Primary Care Physicians
Pronk NP, Krebs-Smith SM, Galuska DA, Liu B, Kushner RF, Troiano RP, Clauser SB, Ballard-Barbash R, Smith AW.
Prev Med. 2012 Jul;55(1):28-33.
- Risk assessment and risk management of nanomaterials in the workplace: translating research to practice
Kuempel ED, Geraci CL, Schulte PA.
Ann Occup Hyg. 2012 Jul;56(5):491-505.
- Maternal occupational exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: effects on gastroschisis among offspring in the National Birth Defects Prevention Study
Lupo PJ, Langlois PH, Reefhuis J, Lawson CC, Symanski E, Desrosiers TA, Khodr ZG, Agopian AJ, Waters MA, Duwe KN, Finnell RH, Mitchell LE, Moore CA, Romitti PA, Shaw GM.
Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Jun;120(6):910-5.
- Occupational mortality associated with inflammatory bowel disease in the United States 1984-1998
Sonnenberg A, Walker JT.
Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012 Jul;18(7):1249-53.
- Worker injuries and safety equipment in Ohio nursing homes
Stanev S, Bailer AJ, Straker JK, Mehdizadeh S, Park RM, Li HJ.
J Gerontol Nurs. 2012 Jun;38(6):47-56.
- Analysis of forces generated by n95 filtering facepiece respirator tethering devices: a pilot study
Roberge R, Niezgoda G, Benson S.
J Occup Environ Hyg. 2012 Aug;9(8):517-23.
- The impact of state preemption of local smoking restrictions on public health protections and changes in social norms
Mowery PD, Babb S, Hobart R, Tworek C, Macneil A.
J Environ Public Health. 2012 ;2012:632629.
- NCHS Dataline
Public Health Rep. 2012 July/August;127(4):464-466.
- Post-disaster reproductive health outcomes
Zotti ME, Williams AM, Robertson M, Horney J, Hsia J.
Matern Child Health J. 2012 Jul 3.
- Measuring sexual identity using survey questionnaires: how valid are our measures?
Ridolfo H, Miller K, Maitland A.
Sex Res Social Policy. 2012 Jun;9(2):113-124.
- Ebola and Marburg hemorrhagic fevers: neglected tropical diseases?
MacNeil A, Rollin PE.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012 Jun;6(6):e1546.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Nudges in public health: paternalism is paramount
Verweij M, van den Hoven M.
Am J Bioeth. 2012 ;12(2):16-7.
- Beyond bioethics: reckoning with the public health paradigm
Fairchild AL, Johns DM.
Am J Public Health. 2012 Jun 14.
- Research ethics capacity development in Africa: exploring a model for individual success
Ali J, Hyder AA, Kass NE.
Dev World Bioeth. 2012 Jun 18.
- Ethical evasion or happenstance and hubris?: the U.S. Public Health Service STD inoculation study
Hastings Cent Rep. 2012 Mar-Apr;42(2):30-8.
- HIV prevention, structural change and social values: the need for an explicit normative approach
J Int AIDS Soc. 2012 ;15 Suppl 1:1-10.
- Public health ethics theory: review and path to convergence
J Law Med Ethics. 2012 Spring;40(1):85-98.
- Revitalizing communities together : the shared values, goals, and work of education, urban planning, and public health
Cohen AK, Schuchter JW.
J Urban Health. 2012 Jun 19.
- Novel therapies, high-risk pediatric research, and the prospect of benefit: learning from the ethical disagreements
de Melo-Martin I, Sondhi D, Crystal RG.
Mol Ther. 2012 Jun;20(6):1095-102.
- Saying something interesting about responsibility for health
Nurs Philos. 2012 Jul;13(3):161-78.
- Liberty, Mill and the framework of public health ethics
Powers M, Faden R, Saghai Y.
Public Health Ethics. 2012 ;5(1).
- An ethical evaluation of evidence: a stewardship approach to public health policy
Walton M, Mengwasser E.
Public Health Ethics. 2012 ;5(1).
- Reflexive research ethics for environmental health and justice: academics and movement-building
Cordner A, Ciplet D, Brown P, Morello-Frosch R.
Soc Mov Stud. 2012 ;11(2):161-176.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.
- Congenital transmission of Chagas disease - Virginia, 2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012 Jul 6;61(26):477-9.
- Injuries from ingestion of wire bristles from grill-cleaning brushes - Providence, Rhode Island, March 2011- June 2012
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012 Jul 6;61(26):490-2.
- Vital signs: risk for overdose from methadone used for pain relief - United States, 1999-2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012 Jul 6;61(26):493-7.
- Epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus blood and skin and soft tissue infections in the US military health system, 2005-2010
Landrum ML, Neumann C, Cook C, Chukwuma U, Ellis MW, Hospenthal DR, Murray CK.
JAMA. 2012 Jul 4;308(1):50-9.
- Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study
Lagiou P, Sandin S, Lof M, Trichopoulos D, Adami HO, Weiderpass E.
BMJ. 2012 ;344:e4026.