Summary of Injection Safety Stakeholder Meeting
Best Practices for Public Health Patient Notification
On December 3, 2009, CDC held an injection safety stakeholder meeting at CDC Headquarters in Atlanta, GA. The purpose of the meeting was to identify and advance best practices for patient notifications when unsafe injection practices or other serious lapses in infection control are identified. The participants grappled with which infection control breaches should trigger patient notifications, how patients should be notified, and best practices from lessons learned from previous outbreaks. The participants included a variety of stakeholders from public health, healthcare facilities, professional organizations, and consumer advocates.
Highlights of the meeting included the opening from Dr. Evelyn McKnight, patient advocate and president of HONOReform and HONOReform Foundation and a surprise visit from the Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin.
CDC is funding two pilot projects in Nevada and New York to test communications messages with providers and the public on safe injection practices as part of the One and Only Campaign.
For more information about the Safe Injection Practices Coalition and the One and Only Campaign.
- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
- American Society for HealthCare Risk Management
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- Association of State Territorial Health Officials
- B & D Consulting
- Becton Dickinson
- Broward General Medical Center
- CDC Foundation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Consumers Union
- Council of State Territorial Epidemiologists
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Emory University
- Food and Drug Administration
- LA County Department of Public Health
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Mother's Against Medical Error
- National Association of County & City Health Officials
- Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
- Nevada Institute for Children's Research and Policy
- Nevada State Health Division
- Nevada State Medical Association
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- New York State Department of Health
- New Hampshire Patient Voices
- Premier Safety Institute
- Rose Medical Center
- Safe Care Campaign, Inc.
- Southern Nevada Health District
- University at Albany, State University of New York
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Vanderbilt University