Planning Guidance and Checklists
Protecting yourself and others from respiratory illnesses like pandemic flu starts with good planning. CDC has updated pre-pandemic planning guidelines for community mitigation strategies, including NPIs, that can be used to plan and prepare for a flu pandemic.
The updated 2017 Guidelines explain why NPIs should be used during a flu pandemic, summarize key lessons learned from the 2009 H1N1 pandemic response, describe new pandemic planning and assessment tools, and provide the latest scientific findings on the use of NPIs.
Pre-pandemic NPI Planning Guides are also available to help public health departments and community settings, such as schools and workplaces, put the updated Guidelines into action as part of their NPI pre-pandemic planning.
Below are links to the 2017 Community Mitigation Guidelines, NPI Planning Guides, and pandemic flu checklists that can help you create an evidence-based strategy to prevent pandemic flu in your community.
Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza – United States, 2017
The updated 2017 Guidelines consist of three separate documents: the MMWR-RR and two supplementary Technical Reports.
- The MMWR-RR outlines the methods used to develop the updated Guidelines, presents CDC’s NPI recommendations, and discusses key areas for further NPI research.
- Technical Report 1 consists of four chapters that provide an introduction to, and overview of, NPIs, describe the new tools developed for pandemic flu planning and assessment, and present a toolbox describing the NPI evidence base, implementation issues, and research gaps.
- Technical Report 2 consists of seven appendices that provide a glossary of terms, a detailed description of the methods used to develop the NPI recommendations, a summary table of the NPI evidence base, and a list of pandemic flu planning tools and resources.
Pre-Pandemic NPI Planning Guides
The following user-friendly Guides are to help public health departments and community settings put the 2017 Guidelines into action as part of their NPI pre-pandemic planning.
- Get Ready for Pandemic Flu: Individuals and Households [PDF – 16 pages]
- Get Ready for Pandemic Flu: Educational Settings [PDF – 16 pages]
- Get Ready for Pandemic Flu: Workplace Settings [PDF – 16 pages]
- Get Ready for Pandemic Flu: Event Planners [PDF – 16 pages]
- Get Ready for Pandemic Flu: Community and Faith-Based Organizations Serving Vulnerable Populations [PDF – 16 pages]
Pandemic Flu Checklists
The following checklists include specific action steps to help public health professionals and administrators of schools, workplaces, and mass gatherings to implement NPIs.
Please visit, Educational Materials, to find additional pandemic flu NPI communication, education, and training materials for various audiences and community settings.
The 2017 Guidelines replace the 2007 Interim Pre-pandemic Planning Guidance: Community Strategy for Pandemic Influenza Mitigation in the United States — Early, Targeted, Layered Use of Nonpharmaceutical Interventions, which can be viewed at: https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11425.
- Page last reviewed: April 20, 2017
- Page last updated: April 20, 2017
- Content source: