COAL WORKERS' HEALTH SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM
Coal Miner Spirometry
Following the Mine Safety and Health Administration’s (MSHA’s) recently-published final rule on respirable coal mine dust exposure, NIOSH expanded its national program of health surveillance for coal miners to include spirometry testing and respiratory health questionnaires. These services are in addition to chest radiographs and occupational history questionnaires.
Spirometry is a diagnostic test used to assess lung function. It measures how much air you inhale, how much you exhale, and how quickly you exhale. It is used to identify breathing impairment seen in asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and other conditions that affect breathing.
Health Providers of Periodic Spirometry for Coal Miners
Below is information on the new requirements for coal miner health surveillance related to spirometry facilities and spirometer manufacturers.
Health facilities must be approved by NIOSH before they can provide spirometry tests and administer respiratory assessment questionnaires for the Coal Workers’ Health Surveillance Program (CWHSP).
Current NIOSH-approved x-ray facilities must seek separate approval to provide spirometry testing and the respiratory assessment.
In addition, facilities seeking approval to administer spirometry tests and the respiratory assessment under the expanded CWHSP (underground and surface coal miners) must comply with the regulations as outlined in 42 C.F.R. Part 37.
Spirometry Clinic Information
- Find a NIOSH CWHSP spirometry facility
- How to apply for CWHSP spirometry approval
- How to meet spirometer and test criteria
- Forms to be used after clinic approval
Spirometer Manufacturer Information
- Spirometer Manufacturer & Model Information for Clinics [PDF – 302 KB]
- 42 C.F.R. Part 37 (Specifications for Medical Examinations of Coal Miners)
- Page last reviewed: July 20, 2016
- Page last updated: February 9, 2018
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Respiratory Health Division, Surveillance Branch