Office of the Director
The Office of Director provides oversight and guidance for all programs and activities housed in the Division of Scientific Resources. The OD manages budget and administrative activities as well as scientific projects and policy development. The following programs are housed in the Office of the Director.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention distributes special biologic agents and drugs through the CDC Drug Service, Division of Scientific Resources, and the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine.
CDC Drug Service activities:
- Maintain a formulary of investigational new drugs (IND) for distribution to requesting physicians licensed in the United States
- Collaborate with partners internal and external to CDC for drug releases
The Quality Assurance Program directs and manages a federally regulated quality system within DSR. The program develops and implements current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) for the production of biological reference reagents, custom media and buffers, and in vitro diagnostic kits.
- Develop standard operating procedures for laboratory activities
- Maintain laboratory quality assurance records and evaluations
- Ensure laboratories adhere to federally mandated quality systems
- Engage in quality discussions within the Office of Infectious Diseases
The CDC Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency ProgramExternal is designed to provide comprehensive training in laboratory animal medicine to residents through a combination of academic training, assigned mentorship, and hands-on research experience.
The first two years of the program consist of clinical training within the veterinary services program of CDC’s Comparative Medicine Branch, followed by a two-year service obligation to CDC. At the conclusion of this program, residents will be trained in high containment laboratory animal medicine and be better prepared for certification by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM).
Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency Program activities:
- Provide academic training to residents in collaboration with Emory University
- Provide mentorship opportunities to residents through CDC investigators
- Provide hands-on research opportunities to residents