11/16/2023: Lab Advisory: CDC Issues Health Alert for High Blood Lead Levels in Children Consuming Recalled Cinnamon Applesauce Pouches
Audience: Clinical Laboratories
Level: Laboratory Advisory
On November 13, 2023, CDC issued a Health Alert Network (HAN) message about potential cases of high blood lead levels in children consuming recalled cinnamon applesauce pouches. The alert advises clinicians and health departments to consider the possibility of illness due to lead exposure and report cases to their local health authorities. We are sending this message so that you can prepare for possible increases in testing volume due to these potential exposures.
For more information, including affected lots and recommendations for clinicians and public health professionals, please review the HAN in detail.
We encourage you to share this message widely with your network(s).
- FDA Investigation of Elevated Lead Levels: Cinnamon Applesauce Pouches (November 2023)
- CDC Health Effects of Lead Exposure
- CDC Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- CDC Lead Guidelines and Recommendations
- CDC Testing Children for Lead Poisoning
- CDC Blood Lead Levels in Children
- If you are a clinical or public health laboratory professional, contact LOCS.
- For media inquiries, contact the CDC Newsroom.
- For all other questions, contact CDC-INFO.
The Laboratory Outreach Communication System
Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS) | Division of Laboratory Systems (DLS)
Center for Laboratory Systems and Response (CLSR)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)