Approaches to Ethical Deliberation in Precision Public Health
There will be wide-ranging ethical implications as genomics shifts from within the medical paradigm to population-level programs. This talk will discuss how bioethics scholarship should approach issues related to the use of genetics and genomics in precision public health and the appropriate implementation of these technologies.
Prof Ainsley Newson is Professor of Bioethics at Sydney Health Ethics, Sydney School of Public Health, the University of Sydney. Ainsley has worked in bioethics for nearly 25 years, holding positions in Australia and the United Kingdom. In her work, Ainsley draws on her background in bioethics, law and science to research the ethical and legal issues arising in genomics and health. She is an authority on critically considering how genomic and reproductive technologies should be used well, in research, clinical and population health settings. Ainsley leads the ethics programs of research within the Australian Reproductive Genetic Carrier Screening Project (Mackenzie’s Mission) and Australian Genomics. Her other ongoing projects examine ethical aspects of the use of genomic technologies in prenatal testing, commercial influences in assisted reproduction and mitochondrial donation. Ainsley sits on a range of committees that deliberate bioethics issues in a policy context, including the Australian Health Ethics Committee, and the Regulatory and Ethics Working Group within the Global Alliance on Genomics and Health.
- Newson AJ. The promise of public health ethics for precision medicine: the case of newborn preventive genomic sequencing. Hum Genet 2021. doi: 10.1007/s00439-021-02269-0.
- Dive L, Archibald AD, Newson AJ. Ethical considerations in gene selection for reproductive carrier screening. Hum Genet. 2021 Aug 23. doi: 10.1007/s00439-021-02341-9.
- Dunlop K, Rankin NM, Smit AK, Salgado Z, Newson AJ, Keogh L, Cust AE. Acceptability of risk-stratified population screening across cancer types: Qualitative interviews with the Australian public. Health Expect. 2021 Aug;24(4):1326-1336. doi: 10.1111/hex.13267.
- Dive L, Newson AJ. Ethics of Reproductive Genetic Carrier Screening: From the Clinic to the Population. Public Health Ethics. 2021 Jun 14;14(2):202-217. doi: 10.1093/phe/phab017.
- Smit AK, Reyes-Marcelino G, Keogh L, Cust AE, Newson AJ. ‘There is a lot of good in knowing, but there is also a lot of downs’: public views on ethical considerations in population genomic screening. J Med Ethics. 2020 May 20:medethics-2019-105934. doi: 10.1136/medethics-2019-105934.
- Precision Public Health Network
- Office of Genomics and Precision Public Health, Office of Science