Carbon Monoxide - Furnace Safety Fact Sheet
When Your Furnace Kicks On, Be Sure Poison Gas Isn’t Coming Out
Every winter when the temperature drops, your furnace can become a silent killer. Gas- and oil-burning furnaces produce carbon monoxide (CO). CO is an invisible, odorless, poison gas that kills hundreds every year and makes thousands more sick. Follow these steps to keep your family safe this winter.
OIL & GAS FURNACES
- Have your furnace inspected every year.
- Install battery-operated or battery back-up CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
- Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.
- Page last reviewed: September 7, 2017
- Page last updated: November 15, 2017
- Content source: