Results: Breastfeeding and Infant Feeding Practices
Infant Feeding Practices Study II and Its Year Six Follow-Up
Infant Feeding Practices Study II (IFPS II)
About 300 web tables were created to describe the preliminary findings from IFPS II. Generally speaking, the tables were constructed by the order of questions in each questionnaire and grouped under a total of 9 different chapters. Chapter 1 presents the topics covered in the prenatal survey conducted during the last trimester of pregnancy; Chapter 2 presents the topics covered in the neonatal survey conducted during the 1st month after birth; and Chapters 3 − 9 present the topics covered in multiple surveys with each chapter focusing on a different theme. Since many topics in the post-neonatal surveys were repeated across surveys, tables in Chapters 3 − 9 generally show results from the same questions over time. In order to keep each table in one place only, the repeated prenatal or neonatal data were pulled out from Chapter 1 and 2 and included in the longitudinal tables in later chapters.
- Introduction Cdc-pdf[PDF-96KB]
- Outline of Web Tables Content Cdc-pdf[PDF-547KB]
- Chapter 1. Prenatal Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF-4.3MB]
- Chapter 2. Neonatal Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF-4.9MB]
- Chapter 3. Infant Feeding Cdc-pdf[PDF-8.1MB]
- Chapter 4. Infant Health Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.3MB]
- Chapter 5. Mothers’ Health and Dietary Practices Cdc-pdf[PDF-629KB]
- Chapter 6. Sources of Information Cdc-pdf[PDF-137KB]
- Chapter 7. Employment and Day Care Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.4MB]
- Chapter 8. Sleeping Arrangement Cdc-pdf[PDF-420KB]
- Chapter 9. Measures of the National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign Cdc-pdf[PDF-224KB]
Raw data for both Infant Feeding Practices Study II and its Year Six Follow-Up are available for interested researchers. All data are stored as SAS data files. Data are available for the following:
- IFPS II main study.
- Pregnancy Dietary History Questionnaire.
- Postpartum Dietary History Questionnaire.
- Non-pregnant/non-lactating sample Dietary History Questionnaire.
For access to these files, please send an e-mail request to email@example.com specifying the database you are requesting and the research question you are addressing.
In addition to the raw data files, you will receive a user’s manual for the data and a code book including frequencies of all variables.
A special supplemental issue of Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, was published in October, 2008 which includes 14 articles based on findings from the Infant Feeding Practices Study II (IFPS II)External.
Year Six Follow-Up Study
The Year Six Follow-Up (Y6FU) study data were used to examine the long-term outcomes of infant feeding practices. A special Pediatrics supplement was published on Sept 1, 2014. The studies included in the 2014 Pediatrics supplementExternal examine the associations between early feeding practices and dietary and health outcomes at age six years by linking the data from IFPS II to its Y6FU.