IIS Policy and Legislation
Privacy, Confidentiality, and HIPAA
Privacy, confidentiality, and security of information are important components of immunization information systems. The following links and documents provide information on HIPAA as well as legislation related to IIS within states. Review the Functional Standards to better understand how IIS address these areas.
State IIS Legislation
A survey of state immunization information system-related legislation was conducted by the CDC. This Survey of State IIS Legislation summarizes for each state:
- if a state has law authorizing IIS; and if so, if it mandates reporting
- if state has law addressing sharing of immunization information
- if state has law addressing sharing of healthcare information
- type of consent: required, implied, or not yet addressed
- if implied consent, whether there are provisions to opt out or limit access
- whether notice is given of inclusion in the IIS
See the ASTHO State Immunization Legislation Resources [139 KB, 11 pages] for more information on IISrelated legislation.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.