Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to navigation Skip directly to site content Skip directly to page options
CDC Home

How to Find a Doctor

Choosing a doctor can be confusing. There are many medical specialties, all of which require different training, experience, and expertise. To help you find the kind of doctor best able to help you, consider the following:

  • How unusual is your problem? Is a specialist really needed, or can your primary care doctor diagnose and treat you?
  • Have you traveled outside of the United States?
  • Do you have special health concerns that require a specialist? For instance, pregnancy, diabetes, immune system problems, or other diseases?
  • Does your health insurance require you to get a referral from your primary care doctor to be able to see a specialist?
  • Why do you think your illness is caused by a parasite?

What kind of doctor should I see?

The specialist you see should be related to the symptoms you are having. Several kinds of medical specialties and a description are listed below.

Kind of doctorA doctor who
specializes in:
DermatologistDiseases of the skin, hair, and nails
GastroenterologistDiseases of the stomach and intestine
Infectious Disease SpecialistIllnesses caused by infections with bacteria, viruses, or parasites
Internal Medicine SpecialistDiseases of adults, similar to a general practitioner, but with additional specialized training
Travel Medicine SpecialistTravel-related illnesses (see before and after travel)

Can I make an appointment at CDC?

No. CDC is not a clinic or hospital. CDC is a public health institution that is a part of the federal government. CDC cannot refer patients to specific doctors or prescribe medication.

I have heard that parasitic infections are rare in the United States and that doctors don’t know how to diagnose or treat them. Is this true?

This is not true. Parasitic diseases are diagnosed and treated every day in the United States. Some are common and some are very rare, found only in travelers or immigrants from areas where the parasites are common. Diagnosis is sometimes difficult and may require a specialist.

Where can I find a doctor?

To find a doctor familiar with diagnosing and treating parasitic infections, consider the following:

  1. Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a specialist.
  2. Contact a local, city, county, or state health department in your area. They may have a clinic where you can be seen.
  3. Contact the nearest medical school teaching hospital or medical center for an appointment with a specialist.
  4. Check your local telephone book for primary care and specialist listings.
  5. Contact a member of a tropical medicine society or association.

    Examples of such associations include:

    Note: Not all doctors choose to be members of associations or societies. Not all doctors listed on association Web sites have office hours, so you should check first and choose one that does.

Contact Us:
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    1600 Clifton Rd.
    Atlanta, GA 30333
  • 1-800-CDC-INFO
    TTY: 1-888-232-6348
    Hours of Operation
    8am-8pm EST/ Monday-Friday
    Closed Holidays
  • Contact CDC-INFO
  • Page last reviewed: March 10, 2014
  • Page last updated: March 10, 2014 The U.S. Government's Official Web PortalDepartment of Health and Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention   1600 Clifton Rd. Atlanta, GA 30329-4027, USA
800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) TTY: (888) 232-6348 - Contact CDC-INFO