NHSN Patient Safety Continuing Education
National Healthcare Safety Network provides online access to complete the continuing education (CE) certificate process. This process includes registration for a course on the CDC Training and Continuing Education Online system, completing the course posttest and assessment, and printing of the CE certificate. To receive CE, participants must complete this process online.
You must submit your answers online before the stated expiration date to be eligible to receive continuing education credit. Please check each course for expiration dates.
Obtaining Continuing Education for NHSN Training Events
- Once you completed viewing the courses, go to CDC Training and Continuing Education Online.
- If you have not registered as a participant, click on New Participant to create a user ID and password; otherwise click on Participant Login and login.
- If you have registered in this system before, please use the same login name and password. This will ensure an accurate transcript.
- Once you have logged in, you will be on the Participant Services page. Click on Search and Register. Then click on the second option keyword search and enter the course number. You can only register and enter one course at a time.
- Click on the course title (at the bottom of the page). The course information page will come up. Scroll down to Register Here. Click on the type of CE that you would like to receive and then Submit. Three demographic questions will come up. Complete the questions and then Submit.
- From Participant Services, click on Evaluations and Tests.
- Complete the course evaluation and Submit. Once you hit submit, it will give you the option of completing the posttest. The posttest for each training course is very brief.
- Upon achieving a passing posttest score (of 80% or higher), you will be able to immediately print your continuing education certificate from your personal transcript. If you do not post a passing score, you may retake the test.
- A record of your completion will be located in the transcript and certificate section of your record.
- If you have any questions or problems contact CDC Training and Continuing Education Online at: 1-800-41TRAIN or 404-639-1292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing education is available free of charge for all NHSN education course work.
CME: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Cases studies have been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), Commission on Accreditation
CNE: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
CHES: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
CEU: The CDC has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. The CDC is authorized by IACET to offer IACET CEU's for this program.
Disclaimer and Disclosure
Use of trade names in NHSN products is for identification purposes only and does not imply endorsement by the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
In compliance with continuing education requirements, all presenters must disclose any financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters as well as any use of unlabeled product(s) or product(s) under investigational use. CDC, our planners, and the presenters for this seminar do not have financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. This presentation does not involve the unlabeled use of a product or product under investigational use. There was no commercial support for this activity.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Healthcare Safety Network
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
- Contact NHSN@cdc.gov