Washington Group on Disability Statistics
Washington Group on Disability Statistics
September 29-October 1, 2004. Bangkok, Thailand.
The fourth meeting of the Washington Group on Disability Statistics was held 29 September to 1 October in Bangkok, Thailand. The meeting was organized in 7 sessions comprised of presentations of draft position papers followed by focused discussion addressing specific session objectives. Session outcomes included key agreements, products, and a work plan.
- Present work on development of the general disability measure (workgroup 1).
- Discuss the proposed plan for implementing the general disability measure (workgroup 2).
- Discuss the proposed approach for development of extended measurement sets (workgroup 3).
- Discuss methodological issues related to full population coverage.
- Discuss strategic issues.
- Improving Disability Statistics and Measurement in Support of the Biwako Millennium Framework: ESCAP initiative [PPT - 333 KB]
- Fourth Meeting of the WG: Objectives and Agenda [PPT - 46 KB]
- Proposed Content of Census Questions for International Use [PPT - 96 KB]
- Discussant 1: Gunilla Davidsson, Sweden [PPT - 42 KB]
- Discussant 2: Xingyan Wen, Australia [PPT - 177 KB]
- Suggestions for Implementing the Disability Measure: Draft Discussion Paper [PDF - 31 KB] [PPT - 137 KB]
- The Joint Population Census for Mercosur, Bolivia and Chile: An Experience of Integration [PPT - 85 KB]
- Draft Position Paper on Extended Disability Measurement Set(s): Draft Discussion Paper [PDF - 183 KB] [PPT - 97 KB]
- Groups often Omitted from National, Household Surveys: Implications for Disability Statistics [PDF - 34 KB] [PPT - 122 KB]
- Disability Among Children: A Statistical Perspective [PDF - 42 KB] [PPT - 143 KB]
- Update on the Joint UNECE/WHO/Eurostat Meeting on the Measurement of Health Status, Geneva, May 24-26, 2004 [PPT - 93 KB]
- Update on “Disability Data in Central America”, Nicaragua, August, 2004 [PPT - 19 KB]
- Summary of country reports and discussion [PPT - 764 KB] [PDF - 14 KB]
- Summary tables [PDF - 94 KB]
- Update on World Bank Efforts for Strengthening Disability Statistics [PPT - 16 KB]
- 2002 Turkish Disability Survey [PPT - 228 KB]
- Governance Issues [PPT - 42 KB]
- Steering committee rotation schedule [PDF - 15 KB]
Four workgroups will address major next steps of the WG. Chairs have been identified for each workgroup. The chairs serve as the contact for each group. Information on the workgroup topics and chairs is provided below. WG members who wish to volunteer to participate in one of these groups, please contact the workgroup chairs.
- Workgroup on General Measure/s
Chair: Barbara Altman, USAThe group has generated a draft set of questions (short form) related to the purpose of assessing equalization of opportunities. Revised wording and documentation of an accompanying rationale statement are the main next steps for the group.
- Workgroup on Implementation
Chair: Joseph Muli-Kalavi, Kenya, International Development ProjectThis new group will work in conjunction with a consultant to develop six protocols necessary to effectively implement the general disability measure. The protocols include: 1) establishing objectives and an evaluation plan for cognitive and pilot testing; 2) establishing plans for report writing including tabulation and analysis; 3) establishing plans for cognitive testing; 4) translation; 5) enumerator training; and 6) sample design issues. Existing protocols will be used for reference.
- Workgroup on Extended Measure/s
Chair: Marijke de Kleijn, The NetherlandsThe group will initiate development of the first extended set of measures on disability related to the purpose of equalization of opportunities. The extended set is intended as a module that will go into other existing national surveys. Justification for the extended set will be specified. The workgroup will identify indicators that will be used to demonstrate equalization of opportunities. Members of the workgroup will develop a paper examining the domains of participation and environment and how they relate to the proposed extended set.
- Workgroup on Methodological Issues
Chair: Howard Meltzer, United KingdomThis new group will address the topic of full population coverage as well as other methodological issues including the effects of proxy and non-response, the effects of questionnaire administration mode, and harmonization of health and disability data using modern calibration techniques. The group will examine whether it is feasible to include subpopulations often excluded from national surveys and whether the proposed questions on disability are relevant for these populations.
- Executive Summary of the Fourth WG Meeting for the UN Statistical Commission [PDF - 31 KB]
- Executive Summary Appendix [PDF - 52 KB]
Lene Mikkelsen (for local arrangements)
Chief, Statistics Development Section
Statistics Division, ESCAP
United Nations Building
Rajadamnern Ave., Bangkok 10200
Telephone: 66 2288-1653
Fax: (66) 2288-1082
National Center for Health Statistics
3311 Toledo Rd
Hyattsville, MD 20782-2064
1 (800) 232-4636
TTY: 1 (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO