Mycotic Diseases Branch
- November 12, 2012: Fungal Endophthalmitis: Diagnosis and Treatment
CDC expert Dr. Rachel Smith discusses diagnosis and treatment of fungal endophthalmitis, an inflammation in the intraocular cavities of the eye.
- October 3, 2011: Mucormycosis: When To Think Fungal Infection
CDC Expert Dr. Benjamin Park explains to clinicians when to suspect fungal infections.
CDC's lead group for the prevention and control of fungal infections in the United States and internationally through epidemiological and microbiological studies to improve the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and control of mycotic diseases.
We are organized in teams covering:
- Epidemiologic activities and investigations of outbreaks, surveillance for trends in invasive fungal infections, determination of risk factors, the development and evaluation of prevention guidelines and intervention strategies.
- Laboratory activities necessary in outbreak investigations and surveillance studies.
- Applied research aimed at control and prevention of mycotic diseases through application of advancements in mycologic, molecular biologic and immunologic methods.
An international center of excellence, developing and promoting cost-effective strategies for the diagnosis, prevention and control of mycotic diseases so that we can help to protect the population from these infections.