International Collaboration on Enteric Disease 'Burden of Illness' Studies
A collaboration of enteric disease epidemiologists interested in the burden of enteric disease
The International Collaboration on Enteric Disease 'Burden of Illness' Studies (International Collaboration) was established in 2004. Its purpose is to facilitate communication among persons who have conducted or are interested in conducting studies to determine the burden of enteric or foodborne disease.
The collaboration provides a forum for sharing information and technical advice on the design, implementation, and analysis of 'burden of illness' studies. It includes a moderated list-serv, a website, quarterly conference calls, and an annual meeting. Working groups have been established to facilitate our understanding of the global burden of disease and contribute to global estimates of the burden of enteric disease.
International Collaboration: Goals
- Foster communication among persons interested in the burden of foodborne disease via a moderated list-serve, quarterly conference calls, and an annual face-to-face meeting
- Create a forum for sharing information on the design, implementation, and analysis of studies investigating the burden of gastrointestinal illness and foodborne disease
- Provide advice to investigators from countries wishing to conduct studies to investigate the burden of gastrointestinal illness and foodborne disease
- Contribute to global estimates of the global burden of gastrointestinal illness and foodborne disease.
International Collaboration: New and Noteworthy
World Health Organization (WHO) initiative to estimate the Global Burden of Foodborne Diseases
The Department of Food Safety, Zoonoses and Foodborne Disease at WHO Headquarters in Geneva has initiated work to better estimate the global burden of foodborne disease from all major causes using health metrics that combine morbidity, mortality, and disability. This project involves an alliance of international partners and was formally launched at a WHO consultation in September 2006 in Geneva.
More information on this initiative can be found on the World Health Organization Foodborne Disease Surveillance Burden of Foodborne Disease's web page.
International Collaboration: Contact Us
If you are interested in participating in or receiving listserv messages about the International Collaboration on Enteric Disease ‘Burden of Illness’ Studies, please email the listserv or contact Antonio Vieira.
- Page last reviewed: August 13, 2012
- Page last updated: August 13, 2012
- Content source: