Get email updates
Enter your email address to receive the monthly CDC LC e-Newsletter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
SPOTLIGHT ARCHIVE: Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
Learning products and resources have been updated to assist you in leading strategic public health efforts to prevent and control obesity through policy, environmental strategies, regular physical activity, and good nutrition.
- Offers a set of self-directed, interactive training modules for health care professionals to assess growth of infants, children, and adolescents.
- Provides health care professionals in the United States with expertise on using and interpreting new pediatric growth charts
- Healthy People 2010 sets goals to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration and to decrease disparities across all populations in the United States.
- This is an introduction to the many interventions developed to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding.
- Provides learners with a foundation in performance management and quality improvement concepts
- Provides exercises to learn public health applications
- Gives participants the tools and confidence to get started using quality improvement to benefit community health
- Designed for public health practitioners with a limited background in the field of nutrition
- Intended to provide basic knowledge, the underlying rationale for current dietary recommendations, and to serve as a refresher course
- Designed for public health practitioners who have completed the Chronic Disease Series modules, "Nutrition and Health" and "Physical Activity" web-based training
- Intended to provide an overview of the prevalence and risk factors for cardiovascular disease and the role of diet and physical activity in the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease and its risk factors
- Focuses on the trends, consequences, and contributing factors of childhood obesity
- Presents the evidence for intervention strategies to address childhood obesity
- Designed for public health practitioners with a limited background in the field of physical activity
- Provides the latest recommendations for amounts and types of physical activity across the life cycle
- Explores the scientific evidence for physical activity recommendations to prevent and manage certain chronic diseases
- Brings together specific strategies and interventions directed at reducing and preventing childhood obesity
- Includes promoting physical activity and healthy eating in children and families through changes in school environments and regional and community approaches
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center to Prevent Childhood Obesity is a national organization dedicated to reversing the childhood obesity epidemic by changing public policies and creating healthier environments in schools and communities.
- Webinars featured are, "Engaging Youth in Childhood Obesity Prevention," "Making Local Communities Healthier" and "Advocating for Healthier Communities through Transportation Policy."
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Dietary Tutorial - Dietary Data Survey Orientation
- Targeted to a portion of the NHANES data users' community who are interested in, or are already analyzing NHANES dietary data
- Provides a general overview of the NHANES dietary data, the NHANES website, the structure and contents of NHANES dietary data, resources and tools for conducting dietary analyses, and the NHANES survey design and weighting principles
- This document is a set of national standards describing evidence-based best practices in nutrition, physical activity, and screen time for early care and education programs.
- It contains practical intervention strategies to prevent excessive weight gain in young children.
- Provides instruction and case examples to illustrate the five dimensions of the RE-AIM framework: reach, effectiveness or efficacy, adoption, implementation, and maintenance with applications to behavior change, and policy and environmental change interventions
- Encourages public health practitioners to consider essential program elements that improve the sustainable adoption and implementation of effective interventions
- Provides training for public health professionals about how to use social marketing in nutrition planning, physical activity, and obesity prevention programs
- Designed for Community Health Workers and healthcare professionals who provide outreach education to Hispanic/Latino and African American/African Ancestry communities
- Includes an overview of the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Study and lifestyle changes to reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Designed to increase the number of primary care providers who watch for, promptly diagnose, and treat vitamin B12 deficiencies in high risk patients
- Designed to be used during the beginning of health professions students' clinical assignments
- Focused on the breastfeeding component of optimal infant and young child feeding
- Presents basic public health concepts, including the principles and the essential services of public health
- Provides a case study focusing on a Native American community that is faced with increasing obesity and diabetes rates among school-age children.
- Provides insight on the problem of obesity in West Virginia and throughout the United States
- Examines the history of the obesity epidemic and discusses causes of the rise in prevalence
- Learn what the public health community in West Virginia is doing to address the problem of obesity
- Active at Any Size
- Active Living by Design
- Aim for a Health Weight — Information for Patients and the Public
- BAM! Body and Mind
- California Fit Business Kit
- Caring for Our Children
- CDC’s Healthy Places — Health Impact Assessments
- CDC’s Lean Works!
- Center for Science in the Public Interest's (CSPI) Sweet Deals — School Fundraising Can Be Healthy and Profitable
- Center of Excellence for Training and Research Translation Resource Kits
- Changes in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Food Packages: A Toolkit for Partnering with Neighborhood Stores
- Child Care Food Program Wellness Tool Kit
- The Community Guide (See Nutrition, Obesity and Physical Activity)
- Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
- Eat Smart, Move More
- Fitness Center Discounts or Subsidies
- Food Policy Councils (FPCs)
- Healthy Food Retailing
- Investing in Workplace Breastfeeding Programs and Policies: An Employer's Toolkit
- Local Government Commission — Transportation Design
- National Physical Activity Plan
- National Standards for Physical Education (NASPE)
- The National Policy and Legal Analysis Network's (NPLAN) Joint Use Agreement Resources
- Obesity, Physical Activity, and Weight-control Glossary
- Obesity Prevention Coordinators' Social Marketing Guidebook
- Physical Activity Resources for Health Professionals
- Strategic Alliance Environmental Nutrition and Activity Community Tool (ENACT): Community Food Environment
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) at Farmers Markets
- Vending Machine Food and Beverage Standards
- Vital Signs: Adult Obesity
- We Can! Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity and Nutrition
- Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity Podcasts
Share information with your colleagues and others about nutrition, obesity, and physical activity with the following Social Media tools.
Information published in the January 2011 spotlight was provided by
- The Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity in the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Page maintained by: Scientific Education and Professional Development Program Office