Clinical Prevention Guidance
Prevention and control of STIs are based on the following five major strategies :
- Accurate risk assessment and education and counseling of persons at risk regarding ways to avoid STIs through changes in sexual behaviors and use of recommended prevention services;
- Pre-exposure vaccination for vaccine preventable STIs;
- Identification of asymptomatically infected persons and persons with symptoms associated with STIs;
- Effective diagnosis, treatment, counseling, and follow-up of infected persons; and
- Evaluation, treatment, and counseling of sex partners of persons who are infected with an STI.