What Do State Chronic Disease Epidemiologists Do?
This program helps states build chronic disease epidemiology capacity by assigning them a CDC chronic disease epidemiologist to assist in the following areas2:
Epidemiology and Data Collection
- Provide epidemiological assistance to the state public health agency, local public health agencies, and partners.
- Consult with chronic disease program managers about using data to target prevention efforts and develop strategies for strengthening those efforts.
- Enhance data collection, analysis, interpretation, and dissemination3.
- Develop and implement chronic disease surveillance and evaluation plans.
- Contribute to the development of chronic disease and related state plans.
- Provide technical assistance in writing chronic disease-related grant applications, cooperative agreements, and requests for proposals.
- Make presentations at national and local conferences.
- Publish state reports and articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Mentor, develop resources for, and conduct trainings for state and local chronic disease program staff to strengthen capacity and enhance data usage.
- Serve as a mentor for student interns, fellows, and preventive medicine residents.
- Ensure collaboration across chronic disease programs.
- Build partnerships with other agencies and stakeholders across multiple sectors to increase data sharing and usage.
- Participate in Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists subcommittees.
- Frey CA, Remington PL, Lengerich E. Evaluation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s chronic disease state-based epidemiology for public health program support (STEPPS) program. J Public Health Manag Pract 2003;9(4):266-74.
- Calanan RM, Sandoval-Rosario M, Price JD, Samanic CM, Lu H, Barbour KE. Achieving Excellence in the Practice of Chronic Disease Epidemiology. Prev Chronic Dis. 2018 Nov 29;15:E146.
- Duffy RE, Siegel, PZ. Increasing chronic disease epidemiology capacity without increasing workforce: a success story in Ohio. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009 Mar-Apr;15(2):123-6.
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists. Chronic Disease Epidemiologist Orientation Manual: A Resource for Applied Epidemiologists. Atlanta, GA: CSTE; 2015.
Page last reviewed: January 18, 2022