Prevention & Control
The best way to prevent whipworm infection is to always:
- Avoid ingesting soil that may be contaminated with human feces, including where human fecal matter ("night soil") or wastewater is used to fertilize crops.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water before handling food.
- Teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent infection.
- Wash, peel, or cook all raw vegetables and fruits before eating, particularly those that have been grown in soil that has been fertilized with manure.
More on: Handwashing
Transmission of infection to others can be prevented by:
- Not defecating outdoors.
- Effective sewage disposal systems.