Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 78–83–1
NIOSH REL: 50 ppm (150 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (300 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 50 ppm (150 mg/m3) TWA
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 50 ppm (152 mg/m3) TWA
Description of substance: Colorless, oily liquid with a sweet, musty odor.
LEL(@123°F): 1.7% (10% LEL(@123°F), 1,700 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 8,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by Patty  that 2 of 6 rats died when exposed for 4 hours to 8,000 ppm [Smyth et al. 1954].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Species||Reference||LC50(ppm)||LCLo(ppm)||Time||Adjusted 0.5-hrLC (CF)||Derived value|
|Rat||Smyth et al. 1954||LC33: 8,000||—–||4 hr||16,000 ppm (2.0)||1,600 ppm|
Lethal dose data:
|Species||Reference||Route||LD50(mg/kg)||LDLo(mg/kg)||Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|RabbitRat||Munch and Schwartze 1925Smyth et al. 1954||oraloral||———-||3,7502,460||8,522 ppm5,591 ppm||852 ppm559 ppm|
Other animal data: RD50 (mouse), 1,818 ppm [DeCeaurriz et al. 1981].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 1,600 ppmBasis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for isobutyl alcohol is 1,600 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Smyth et al. 1954]. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of relevant acute toxicity data for workers.|
1. DeCeaurriz JC, Micillino JC, Bonnet P, Guenier JP . Sensory irritation caused by various industrial airborne chemicals. Toxicol Lett 9(2):137-143.
2. Munch JC, Schwartze EW . Narcotic and toxic potency of aliphatic alcohols upon rabbits. J Lab Clin Med 10:985-995.
3. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1448.
4. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP, Weil CS, Pozzani UC . Range-finding toxicity data: list V. AMA Arch Ind Hyg Occup Med 10:61-68.
- Page last reviewed: December 4, 2014
- Page last updated: December 4, 2014
- Content source: