Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 309-00-2
NIOSH REL: 0.25 mg/m3 TWA [skin]; NIOSH considers aldrin to be a potential occupational carcinogen as defined by the OSHA carcinogen policy [29 CFR 1990].
Current OSHA PEL: 0.25 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 0.25 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
Description of substance: Colorless to dark-brown crystalline solid with a mild chemical odor.
LEL: Noncombustible Solid
Original (SCP) IDLH: 100 mg/m3
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: No useful data on acute inhalation toxicity are available on which to base the IDLH for aldrin. The chosen IDLH, therefore, has been estimated from the statement by Baskin  that severe symptoms follow swallowing or skin contamination with 15 to 50 mg/kg (average adult). According to Deichmann , aldrin vapor gave no effect in man at 18 mg/m3 during exposure for 1 day.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Rat||Izmerov et al. 1982||-----||5.8 mg/m3||4 hr||12 mg/m3 (2.0)||1.2 mg/m3|
Lethal dose data:
|Rabbit||AAPCO 1966||oral||50||-----||350 mg/m3||35 mg/m3|
|G. pig||AAPCO 1966||oral||33||-----||231 mg/m3||23 mg/m3|
|Rat||Kenaga and Morgan 1978||oral||39||-----||273 mg/m3||27 mg/m3|
|Mouse||Kenaga and Morgan 1978||oral||44||-----||308 mg/m3||31 mg/m3|
Human data: No effects were noted after exposure to 18 mg/m3 for 1 day [Deichmann 1973]. Ingestion of 25.6 mg/kg caused convulsions within 20 minutes [Ottolenghi et al. 1974]. [Note: An oral dose of 25.6 mg/kg is equivalent to a 70-kg worker being exposed to about 1,200 mg/m3 for 30 minutes, assuming a breathing rate of 50 liters per minute and 100% absorption.]
Revised IDLH: 25 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for aldrin is 25 mg/m3 based on acute toxicity data in humans [Deichmann 1973; Ottolenghi et al. 1974]. [Note: NIOSH recommends as part of its carcinogen policy that the "most protective" respirators be worn for aldrin at concentrations above 0.25 mg/m3.]
- AAPCO . Pesticide chemicals official compendium. Topeka, KS: Association of American Pesticide Control Officials, Inc., p. 7.
- Baskin AD, ed. . Handling guide for potentially hazardous materials. Oxford, IN: The Richard B. Cross Company, PC 0180.
- Deichmann WB . The chronic toxicity of organochlorine pesticides in man. In: Pesticides and the environment: a continuing controversy. Vol. II. New York, NY: Intercontinental Medical Book Corporation, pp. 347-420.
- Izmerov NF, Sanotsky IV, Sidorov KK . Toxicometric parameters of industrial toxic chemicals under single exposure. Moscow, Russia: Centre of International Projects, GKNT, p. 73.
- Kenaga EE, Morgan RW . Commercial and experimental organic insecticides (1978 revision). Entomological Society of America Special Publication 78-1:12.
- Ottolenghi AD, Haseman JK, Suggs F . Teratogenic effects of aldrin, dieldrin, and endrin in hamsters and mice. Teratology 9:11.