Methyl (n-amyl) ketone
Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 110–43–0
NIOSH REL: 100 ppm (465 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (465 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 50 ppm (233 mg/m3) TWA
Description of substance: Colorless to white liquid with a banana-like, fruity odor.
LEL(@151°F): 1.1% (10% LEL(@151°F), 1,100 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 4,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by Patty  that 2,000 ppm was strongly narcotic and 4,800 ppm caused narcosis and death in guinea pigs in 4 to 8 hours [Specht et al. 1940].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Species||Reference||LC50(ppm)||LCLo(ppm)||Time||Adjusted 0.5-hrLC (CF)||Derived value|
|Rat||Clayton & Clayton 1981||—–||4,000||4 hr||8,000 ppm (2.0)||800 ppm|
|G. pig||Specht et al. 1940||—–||2,000||14.8 hr||6,180 ppm (3.09)||618 ppm|
Lethal dose data:
|Species||Reference||Route||LD50(mg/kg)||LDLo(mg/kg)||Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|Rat||Smyth et al. 1962||oral||1,670||—–||2,461 ppm||246 ppm|
|Mouse||Srepel & Akacic 1962||oral||730||—–||1,076 ppm||108 ppm|
Other animal data: Exposures to guinea pigs lasting 4-8 hours were irritating to the mucous membranes at 1,500 ppm, strongly narcotic at 2,000 ppm, and caused narcosis and death at 4,800 ppm [Specht et al. 1940].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 800 ppmBasis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for methyl (n-amyl) ketone is 800 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Clayton and Clayton 1981].|
1. Clayton GD, Clayton FE, eds. . Patty’s industrial hygiene and toxicology. 3rd rev. ed. Vol. 2C. Toxicology. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., p. 4757.
2. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1740.
3. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP, Weil CS, Pozzani UC, Striegel JA . Range-finding toxicity data: list VI. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 23:95-107.
4. Specht H, Miller JW, Valaer PJ, Sayers RR . Acute response of guinea pigs to the inhalation of ketone vapors. NIH Bulletin 176:1-66.
5. Srepel B, Akacic B . Ispitivanje anthelminti_kog djelovanja eteri_nih ulja roda Ruta. Acta Pharmaceut Jugo 12:79-86 (in Serbo-Croatian).
- Page last reviewed: December 4, 2014
- Page last updated: December 4, 2014
- Content source: