Links & References
- CDC’s Health Information for International Travel (Yellow Book)
Information about JE risk by country and recommendations for prevention of JE among travelers
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2 pages]
JE vaccine use
- CDC. Japanese encephalitis vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR. 2010;59(RR-1):1–27 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 32 pages].
- CDC. Recommendations for use of a booster dose of inactivated Vero cell culture-derived Japanese encephalitis vaccine – Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2011. MMWR. 2011;60:661-3.
- CDC. Use of Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine in Children: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2013. MMWR 2013;62:898-900.
JE vaccine safety and immunogenicity
- Rabe IB, Miller ER, Fischer M, Hills SL. Adverse events following vaccination with an inactivated, Vero cell culture-derived Japanese encephalitis vaccine in the United States, 2009-2012. Vaccine. 2015;33(5):708-712.
- Schuller E, Klingler A, Dubischar-Kastner K, Dewasthaly S, Müller Z. Safety profile of the Vero cell-derived Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) vaccine IXIARO (®). Vaccine. 2011;29(47):8669-76.
- Tauber E, Kollaritsch H, von Sonnenburg F, Lademann M, Jilma B, Firbas C, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial of the safety and tolerability of IC51, an inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine. J Infect Dis. 2008;198(4):493–9.
- Tauber E, Kollaritsch H, Korinek M, Rendi-Wagner P, Jilma B, Firbas C, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a Vero-cell-derived, inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine: a non-inferiority, phase III, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007;370(9602):1847–53.
- Woolpert T, Staples JE, Faix DJ, Nett RJ, Kosoy O, Biggerstaff BJ, et al. Immunogenicity of one dose of Vero cell culture-derived Japanese encephalitis (JE) vaccine in adults previously vaccinated with mouse brain-derived JE vaccine. Vaccine. 2012;30(20):3090-3096.
JE in US travelers
- Hills SL, Stoltey J, Martínez D, Kim PY, Sheriff H, Zangeneh A, et al. A case series of three US adults with Japanese encephalitis, 2010-2012. J Travel Med. 2014;21(5):310-313.
- CDC. Japanese encephalitis in two children––United States, 2010. MMWR. 2011;60(9):276-8.
- Hills SL, Griggs AC, Fischer M. Japanese encephalitis in travelers from non-endemic countries, 1973–2008. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;82(5):930–6.
- Campbell GL, Hills SL, Fischer M, Jacobson JA, Hoke CH, Hombach JM, et al. Estimated global incidence of Japanese encephalitis: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ. 2011;89(10):766-74.External
- World Health Organization. Japanese encephalitis vaccines: WHO position paper – February 2015. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015; 90(9):69-87.Cdc-pdfExternal
Page last reviewed: February 8, 2019