Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings (2007)
Update: Current recommendations can be found at CDC Tdap / Td ACIP Vaccine Recommendations.
Update: The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC) voted to change the recommendation of isolation for persons with mumps from 9 days to 5 days based on this 2008 MMWR report.
Changes to this guideline:
- Minor content edits were made to improve clarity.
- Spelling and punctuation were corrected.
- Tables were formatted to be easily read by screen readers in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Numbered or itemized items in paragraph format were converted to vertical numbered or bulleted lists in compliance with ADA.
- Link text was changed to comply with ADA.
- Live links were updated; dead links are indicated.
Update: The recommendations in this guideline for Ebola has been superseded by these CDC documents:
- Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Hospitalized Patients with Known or Suspected Ebola Virus Disease in U.S. Hospitals
- Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus
See CDC’s Ebola Virus Disease website for current information on how Ebola virus is transmitted.
Update: Recommendations for healthcare workers can be found at Ebola for Clinicians.
This update aligns with and clarifies the ACIP 2011 Immunization of Healthcare Personnel Recommendations
Update: Susceptible healthcare personnel (HCP) should not enter room if immune care providers are available; regardless of presumptive evidence of immunity, HCP should use respiratory protection that is at least as protective as a fit-tested, NIOSH-certified N95 respirator upon entry into the patient’s room or care area. For exposed susceptibles, postexposure vaccine within 72 hours or immune globulin within 6 days when available [17, 1032, 1034]. Place exposed susceptible patients on Airborne Precautions and exclude susceptible healthcare personnel. See Immunization of Healthcare Personnel: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 705 KB].
Correction: For recommendation VI.C.1.c., the pressure differential changed from ≥ 12.5 to ≥ 2.5.