Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 96–33–3
NIOSH REL: 10 ppm (35 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 10 ppm (35 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 10 ppm (35 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with an acrid odor.
LEL: . . 2.8% (10% LEL, 2,800 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 1,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the rat 4-hour LC50 of 1,000 ppm in which 3 of 6 rats died [Smyth and Carpenter 1948 cited by Patty 1963].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Lomonova & Klimova 1979|
Oberly &Tansey 1985
Smyth &Carpenter 1948
Treon et al. 1949
2,700 ppm (2.0)
2,000 ppm (2.0)
3,153 ppm (1.25)
Other animal data: Rats exposed 4 hours per day, 5 days per week at 110 ppm for a total of 32 exposures had eye discomfort at the start of the investigation, but no overt signs of respiratory distress or other manifestations of toxicity were recorded [Oberly and Tansey 1985].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised
|Revised IDLH: 250 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for methyl acrylate is 250 ppm based on acute inhalation data in animals [Oberly and Tansey 1985; Smyth and Carpenter 1948; Treon et al. 1949].
1. Lomonova GV, Klimova EI . On the toxicity methyl and ethyl acrylates. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 23(9):55-56 (in Russian).
2. Oberly R, Tansey MF . LC50 values for rats acutely exposed to vapors of acrylic and methacrylic acid esters. J Toxicol Environ Health 16:811-822.
3. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1880.
4. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP . Further experience with the range-finding test in the industrial toxicology laboratory. J Ind Hyg Toxicol 30:63-68.
5. Treon JF, Sigmon H, Wright H, Kitzmiller KV . The toxicity of methyl and ethyl acrylate. J Ind Hyg Toxicol 31:317-326.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO