Nitrotoluene (o-, m-, p-isomers)
Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS numbers: 88-72-2 (o-isomer), 99-08-1 (m-isomer), 99-99-0 (p-isomer)
NIOSH REL: 2 ppm (11 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 5 ppm (30 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: 2 ppm (11 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 2 ppm (11 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Description of substance: Yellow liquids (o-, m-isomers) or a crystalline solid (p-isomer) with weak, aromatic odors.
LEL(o-isomer): 2.2% (10% LEL, 2,200 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 200 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on an analogy with nitrobenzene which has an IDLH of 200 ppm.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal dose data:
|o-isomer Rat||Vasilerko et al. 1978||oral||891||-----||1,094 ppm||109 ppm|
|o-isomer Mouse||Vasilerko et al. 1978||oral||970||-----||1,191 ppm||119 ppm|
|o-isomer Rabbit||Vasilerko et al. 1978||oral||1,750||-----||2,149 ppm||215 ppm|
|p-isomer Mouse||Back et al. 1972||oral||1,231||-----||1,512 ppm||151 ppm|
|p-isomer Rat||Vasilerko et al. 1978||oral||1,960||-----||2,407 ppm||241 ppm|
|p-isomer Rabbit||Vasilerko et al. 1978||oral||1,750||-----||2,149 ppm||215 ppm|
Human data: It has been stated that nitrotoluene is only slightly toxic, especially in comparison with nitrobenzene [Linch 1974].
|Revised IDLH: 200 ppm [Unchanged]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on acute oral toxicity data in animals [Back et al. 1972; Vasilerko et al. 1978] and an analogy to nitrobenzene [Linch 1974] which has an IDLH of 200 ppm, the original IDLH for nitrotoluene (200 ppm) is not being revised at this time.
1. Back KC, Thomas AA, MacEwen JD . Reclassification of materials listed as transportation health hazards. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH: 6570th Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory, Report No. TSA-20-72-3, pp. A-310 to A-311.
2. Linch AL . Biological monitoring for industrial exposure to cyanogenic aromatic nitro and amino compounds. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 35:426-432.
3. Vasilerko NM, Kovalenko EE, Batuzina TS . Experimental substantiation of hygienic concentrations of isomers of mononitrotoluenes in the air of the working zone. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 22(7):52 (in Russian).
- Page last reviewed: December 4, 2014
- Page last updated: December 4, 2014
- Content source: