Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 84–74–2
NIOSH REL: 5 mg/m3 TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 5 mg/m3 TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 5 mg/m3 TWA
Description of Substance: Colorless to faint-yellow, oily liquid with a slight, aromatic odor.
LEL(@456 F): 0.5% (10% LEL(@456 F), 32,700 mg/m3)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 9,300 mg/m3
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Because dibutylphthalate has a very low toxicity, the available toxicological data contains no evidence of an IDLH for it. Therefore, the chosen IDLH is based on an analogy with dimethylphthalate, which has an IDLH of 9,300 mg/m3.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Antonyuk and Aldyreva 1973|
Izmerov et al. 1982
40,000 mg/m3 (1.6)
Lethal dose data:
Timofeevskaia et al. 1980
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 4,000 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for dibutyl phthalate is 4,000 mg/m3 based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Izmerov et al. 1982]. [Note: Due to its low volatility, this concentration could only be reached at elevated temperatures or if the liquid droplets become airborne as in a mist.]
1. Antonyuk OK . About the toxicity of didodecylphthalate. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 17(11):51-52 (in Russian).
2. Antonyuk OK, Aldyreva MV . Substantiation of maximum permissible concentration of dibutyl phthalate in the air of industrial premises. Gig Tr Prof Zabol 17(8):26-30 (in Russian).
3. Izmerov NF, Sanotsky IV, Sidorov KK . Toxicometric parameters of industrial toxic chemicals under single exposure. Moscow, Russia: Centre of International Projects, GKNT, p. 44.
4. Sine C, ed. . Dibutyl phthalate. In: Farm chemicals handbook '93, p. C112.
5. Timofeevskaia LA, Ivanova NI, Baliniva ES . Toxicology
of o-phthalic acid and esters and hygienic regimentation.
Gig Tr Prof Zabol 24(3):25-27 (in Russian).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO