Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 79–20–9
NIOSH REL: 200 ppm (610 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (760 mg/m3) STEL
Current OSHA PEL: 200 ppm (610 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 200 ppm (610 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (760 mg/m3) STEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 200 ppm (606 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (757 mg/m3) STEL
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with a fragrant, fruity odor.
LEL:. . 3.1% (10% LEL, 3,100 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 10,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on an analogy with butyl acetate and ethyl acetate which have IDLHs of 10,000 ppm.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Species||Reference||LC50 (ppm)||LCLo (ppm)||Time||Adjusted 0.5-hr LC (CF)||Derived value|
|Flury and Wirth 1933|
Flury and Wirth 1933
Smyth et al. 1962
|22,078 ppm (2.0) |
27,191 ppm (1.25)
64,000 ppm (2.0)
Lethal dose data:
|Species||Reference||Route||LD50 (mg/kg)||LDLo (mg/kg)||Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|Rabbit||Munch 1972||oral||3,700||-----||8,409 ppm||841 ppm|
Human data: It has been reported that concentrations of
10,000 ppm for a short time caused irritation which persisted
after exposure stopped [Clayton and Clayton 1981].
|Revised IDLH: 3,100 ppm [LEL]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on health considerations and acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Clayton and Clayton 1981], the original value of about 10,000 ppm would have been appropriate for methyl acetate. However, the revised IDLH for methyl acetate is 3,100 ppm based strictly on safety considerations (i.e., being 10% of the lower explosive limit of 3.1%).
1. Clayton GD, Clayton FE, eds. . Patty's industrial hygiene and toxicology. 3rd rev. ed. Vol. 2A. Toxicology. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., p. 2272.
2. Flury F, Wirth W . Zur toxikologie der lösungsmittel (Verschieden ester, aceton, methylalkohol). Arch Gewerbepath Gewerbehyg 5:1-90 (in German).
3. Munch JC . Aliphatic alcohols and alkyl esters: narcotic and lethal potencies to tadpoles and to rabbits. Ind Med Surg 41:31-33.
4. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP, Weil CS, Pozzani UC, Striegel JA
. Range-finding toxicity data: list VI. Am Ind
Hyg Assoc J 23:95-107.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO