Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 75–65–0
NIOSH REL: 100 ppm (300 mg/m3) TWA, 150 ppm (450 mg/m3) STEL
Current OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (300 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (300 mg/m3) TWA, 150 ppm (450 mg/m3) STEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 100 ppm (303 mg/m3) TWA
Description of Substance: Colorless solid or liquid (above 77 F) with a camphor-like odor.
LEL: . . 2.4% (10% LEL, 2,400 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 8,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: No data on acute inhalation toxicity are available on which to base the IDLH for tert-butyl alcohol, but Patty  reported that the signs of intoxication on the part of animals exposed to its vapors are similar to those induced by the other butyl alcohols [Weese 1928]. For this draft technical standard, therefore, the IDLH is based on an analogy with isobutyl alcohol and n-butyl alcohol, which have IDLHs of 8,000 ppm.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal dose data:
|Munch 1972 |
Schaffarzick and Brown 1952
|8,089 ppm |
|809 ppm |
Other animal data: It has been reported that inhalation toxicity for tert-butyl alcohol is similar to that induced by the other butyl alcohols [Weese 1928].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 1,600 ppm |
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for tert-butyl alcohol is 1,600 ppm based on analogies [Weese 1928] to isobutyl alcohol and n-butyl alcohol.
1. Munch JC . Aliphatic alcohols and alkyl esters: narcotic and lethal potencies to tadpoles and to rabbits. Ind Med Surg 41:31-33.
2. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1447.
3. Schaffarzick RW, Brown BJ . The anticonvulsant activity and toxicity of methylparafynol (Dormison®) and some other alcohols. Science 116:663-665.
4. Weese H . Comparative studies of the effect of toxicity of lower aliphatic alcohol vapors (translated). Arch Exp Pathol Pharmakol 135:121-123.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO