Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 75–00–3
NIOSH REL: Handle with caution in the workplace.
Current OSHA PEL: 1,000 ppm (2,600 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 1,000 ppm (2,640 mg/m3) TWA
Description of Substance: Colorless gas or liquid (below 54 F) with a pungent, ether-like odor.
LEL:. . 3.8% (10% LEL, 3,800 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 20,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on human exposure data reported by Davidson  in which 13,000 ppm caused no difficulty in walking or balancing after 21 minutes, but 19,000 ppm caused weak analgesia and slight dizziness after 12 minutes.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Izmerov et al. 1982|
Izmerov et al. 1982
Sayers and Yant 1929
|95,522 ppm (1.6) |
87,164 ppm (1.6)
45,600 ppm (1.14)
Human data: It has been reported that 13,000 ppm for 21 minutes caused no difficulty in walking or balancing but 19,000 ppm caused weak analgesia and slight dizziness after 12 minutes [Davidson 1926].
|Revised IDLH: 3,800 ppm [LEL]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on health considerations and acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Davidson 1926], a value of about 13,000 ppm would have been appropriate. However, the revised IDLH for ethyl chloride is 3,800 ppm based strictly on safety considerations (i.e., being 10% of the lower explosive limit of 3.8%).
1. Davidson BM . Studies of intoxication. V. The action of ethyl chloride. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 26:37-42.
2. Izmerov NF, Sanotsky IV, Sidorov KK . Toxicometric parameters of industrial toxic chemicals under single exposure. Moscow, Russia: Centre of International Projects, GKNT, p. 66.
3. Sayers RR, Yant VP . Physiological response attending
exposure to vapors of methyl bromide, methyl chloride, ethyl bromide
and ethyl chloride. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office,
Treasury Department, U.S. Public Health Service, Public Health
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO