Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 541–85–5
NIOSH REL: 25 ppm (130 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 25 ppm (130 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 25 ppm (131 mg/m3) TWA
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with a pungent odor.
LEL: . . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 3,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by Patty  that 0 of 6 rats died, but 3 of 6 mice died when exposed for 4 hours to about 3,000 ppm [Shell 1958].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Time||Adjusted 0.5-hr |
|Mouse||Shell 1958||3,000||-----||4 hr||6,000 ppm (2.0)||600 ppm|
|Rat||Shell 1958||LC67: 6,000||-----||8 hr||15,000 ppm (2.5)||1,500 ppm|
|Rat||Shell 1961||-----||3,484||8 hr||8,710 ppm (2.5)||871 ppm|
|Mouse||Shell 1961||-----||3,484||4 hr||6,968 ppm (2.0)||697 ppm|
Other animal data: It has been reported that rats survived a 4-hour exposure to 3,000 ppm [Shell 1958].
Human data: Humans exposed to 25 ppm experienced irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract and detected a strong odor, while 100 ppm caused irritation of the mucous membranes, headache, and nausea which was too severe to tolerate for more than a few minutes [Clayton and Clayton 1981].
|Revised IDLH: 100 ppm |
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for 5-methyl-3-heptanone is 100 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Clayton and Clayton 1981].
1. Clayton GD, Clayton FE, eds. . Patty's industrial hygiene and toxicology. 3rd rev. ed. Vol. 2C. Toxicology. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp. 4767-4768.
2. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1744.
3. Shell . Toxicity data sheet: SC 57-99. Houston, TX: Shell Chemical Corporation, Industrial Hygiene Bulletin Toxicity Data Sheet.
4. Shell . Unpublished report. Houston, TX: Shell Chemical Corporation, p. 6.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO