Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
Dinitrobenzene (o-, m-, p-isomers)
CAS number: 528-29-0 (o-isomer), 99–65–0 (m-isomer), 100-25-4 (p-isomer)
NIOSH REL: 1 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 1 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 1 mg/m3 (0.15 ppm) TWA [skin]
Description of Substance: Pale-white or yellow solid.
LEL:. . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 200 mg/m3
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: No data on acute inhalation toxicity are available on which to base an IDLH for dinitrobenzene. The chosen IDLH, therefore, has been estimated from the statement by Deichmann and Gerarde  that the probable lethal oral dose for an adult is 2 grams.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal dose data:
Kitchens et al. 1978
Kitchens et al. 1978
Human data: The probable lethal oral dose has been reported to be 2 grams [Deichmann and Gerarde 1969]. [Note: An oral dose of 2 grams is equivalent to a worker being exposed to about 1,300 mg/m3 for 30 minutes, assuming a breathing rate of 50 liters per minute and 100% absorption.]
|Revised IDLH: 50 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: No inhalation toxicity data are available on which to base an IDLH for dinitrobenzene. Therefore, the revised IDLH for dinitrobenzene is 50 mg/m3 based on acute oral toxicity data in humans [Deichmann and Gerarde 1969].
1. Deichmann WB, Gerarde HW . Dinitrobenzenes. In: Toxicology of drugs and chemicals. New York, NY: Academic Press, Inc., pp. 226-227.
2. Kitchens JF, Harward WE III, Lauter DM, Wentsel RS, Valentine RS . Preliminary problem definition of 48 munitions-related chemicals. Vol. 1. Explosives related chemicals. Alexandria, VA: Atlantic Research Corporation, U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command Contract No. DAMD17-77-C-7057.
3. Spector WS, ed. . Handbook of toxicology. Vol. 1.
Acute toxicities of solids, liquids and gases to laboratory animals.
Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Co., pp. 116-117.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO