Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 504-29-0
NIOSH REL: 0.5 ppm (2 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 0.5 ppm (2 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 0.5 ppm (1.9 mg/m3) TWA
Description of substanceL: White powder, leaflets, or crystals with a characteristic odor.
Original (SCP) IDLH: 5 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Very little quantitative data are available on which to base an IDLH for 2-aminopyridine. The chosen IDLH is based on the statement by ACGIH  that a 5-hour exposure to about 5 ppm produced headache, increased blood pressure, and nausea in a worker [Watrous and Schulz 1950].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATALethal dose data:
|Rat||Marhold 1986||oral||200||-----||385 ppm||39 ppm|
|Mouse||Verschueren 1983||oral||50||-----||90 ppm||9 ppm|
Human data: A 5-hour exposure to approximately 5 ppm caused severe headache, increased blood pressure, flushing of the extremities, and nausea [Watrous and Schulz 1950]
Revised IDLH: 5 ppm [Unchanged]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Watrous and Schulz 1950], the original IDLH for 2-aminopyridine (5 ppm) is not being revised at this time. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of relevant acute toxicity data for workers exposed to concentrations above 5 ppm.
- ACGIH . 2-Aminopyridine. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, p. 11.
- Marhold J . Prehled Prumyslove Toxikologie, Organicke Latky. Prague, Czechoslovakia: Avicenum, p. 838 (in Czechoslovakian).
- Verschueren K . Handbook of environmental data of organic chemicals. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, Co., p. 192.
- Watrous RM, Schulz HN . Cyclohexylamine, p-chlornitrobenzene, 2-aminopyridine: toxic effects in industrial use. Ind Med Surg 19(7):317-320.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO