Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 3689–24–5
NIOSH REL: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA [skin]
Description of substance: Pale-yellow liquid with a garlic-like odor.
LEL :. . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 35 mg/m3
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the rat oral LD50 of 5 mg/kg [Lehman 1951 cited by ACGIH 1971]. No other useful data are available on which to base the IDLH.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Rat||Kimmerle & Klimmer 1974||38 mg/m3||-----||4 hr||76 mg/m3 (2.0)||7.6 mg/m3|
|Mouse||Kimmerle & Klimmer 1974||40 mg/m3||-----||4 hr||80 mg/m3 (2.0)||8.0 mg/m3|
Lethal dose data:
|Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|Mouse||Kimmerle & Klimmer 1974||oral||22||-----||154 mg/m3||15 mg/m3|
|Rabbit||Kimmerle &Klimmer 1974||oral||25||-----||175 mg/m3||18 mg/m3|
|Dog||Kimmerle & Klimmer 1974||oral||5||-----||35 mg/m3||3.5 mg/m3|
|Rat||Lehman 1951||oral||5||-----||35 mg/m3||3.5 mg/m3|
Other animal data: It has been stated that TEDP is an organophosphate pesticide whose toxicity is similar to that of parathion [ACGIH 1991].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 10 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for TEDP is 10 mg/m3 based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Kimmerle and Klimmer 1974] and on an analogy with parathion [ACGIH 1991] which has a revised IDLH of 10 mg/m3.
1. ACGIH . TEDP (tetraethyl dithionopyrophosphate). In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 244-245.
2. ACGIH . Sulfotep. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values and biological exposure indices. 6th ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 1452-1454.
3. Kimmerle G, Klimmer OR . Acute and subchronic toxicity of sulfotep. Arch Toxicol 33:1-16.
4. Lehman AJ . Chemicals in foods: A report to the Association of Food and Drug Officials on current developments. Part II. Pesticides. Section II. Dermal Toxicity. Q Bulletin Assoc Food Drug Off U.S. 16(1):3-9.
- Page last reviewed: December 4, 2014
- Page last updated: December 4, 2014
- Content source: