Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 25013–15–4
NIOSH REL: 100 ppm (480 mg/m3) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (480 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 50 ppm (242 mg/m3) TWA, 100 ppm (483 mg/m3) STEL
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with a strong, disagreeable odor.
LEL: . . 0.8% (10% LEL, 800 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 5,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Because no data on acute inhalation toxicity are available on which to base an IDLH for vinyl toluene, the chosen IDLH has been based on an analogy with styrene, which has an IDLH of 5,000 ppm.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Mouse||Krynskaya et al. 1969||615||-----||4 hr||1,230 ppm (2.0)||123 ppm|
Lethal dose data:
|Adjusted LD||Derived value|
|Krynskaya et al. 1969|
Yang & Mackerer 1990
Other animal data: RD50 (mouse), 16.4 ppm [DeCeaurriz et al. 1981].
Human data: Although eye and nasal irritation have been
noted, 400 ppm has been considered a safe concentration [ACGIH
|Revised IDLH: 400 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for vinyl toluene is 400 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [ACGIH 1986]. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of relevant acute toxicity data for workers exposed to concentrations above 400 ppm.
1. ACGIH . Vinyl toluene. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 275-276.
2. DeCeaurriz JC, Micillino JC, Bonnet P, Guenier JP . Sensory irritation caused by various industrial airborne chemicals. Toxicol Lett 9:137-143.
3. Krynskaya IL, Petrova LI, Guricheva ZG, Robachevskaya EG, Bukevich GM . Toxicity of vinyltoluene and its determination in air. Gig Sanit 34(7-9):334-339 (translated).
4. Yang JJ, Mackerer CR . Acute toxicologic testing of para-methylstyrene using rats and dogs. J Am Coll Toxicol, Part B 1:77 [Abstract].
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO