Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 136–78–7
NIOSH REL: 10 mg/m3 (total dust) TWA, 5 mg/m3 (respirable dust) TWA
Current OSHA PEL: 15 mg/m3 (total dust) TWA, 5 mg/m3 (respirable dust) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 10 mg/m3 (total dust) TWA, 5 mg/m3 (respirable dust) TWA
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 10 mg/m3 TWA
Description of Substance: Colorless to white crystalline, odorless solid.
LEL: . . Noncombustible Solid
Original (SCP) IDLH: 5,000 mg/m3
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: According to many sources, Crag® herbicide is not very toxic to mammals. Because no acute inhalation toxicity data are available, the chosen IDLH has been estimated from the rat oral LD50 of 730 mg/kg [Gunther 1962 cited by NIOSH 1976].
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal dose data:
|Carpenter et al. 1961|
|3,360 mg/m3 |
|336 mg/m3 |
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 500 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: No inhalation toxicity data are available on which to base an IDLH for Crag® herbicide. Therefore, the revised IDLH for Crag® herbicide is 500 mg/m3 based on acute oral toxicity data in animals [Carpenter et al. 1961; Gunther 1962; Sine 1991]. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of acute toxicity data for workers.
1. Carpenter CP, Weil CS, Smyth HF Jr. . Mammalian toxicity of sesone herbicide. J Agri Food Chem 9:382-385
2. Gunther FA, ed. . Residues of pesticides and other foreign chemicals in food and feeds. Vol. I. Secaucus, NJ: Springer Verlag New York, Inc., p. 18.
3. NIOSH . KK49000. Ethanol, 2-(2,4-dichlorophenoxy)-, hydrogen sulfate, sodium salt. In: Registry of toxic effects of chemical substances, 1976 ed. Cincinnati, OH: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, Center for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHEW (NIOSH) Publication No. 76-191, p. 503.
4. Sine C, ed. . Sesone. In: Farm chemicals handbook '91,
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO