Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 111–15–9
NIOSH REL: 0.5 ppm (2.7 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Current OSHA PEL: 100 ppm (540 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
1989 OSHA PEL: Same as current PEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 5 ppm (27 mg/m3) TWA [skin]
Description of Substance: Colorless liquid with a mild odor.
LEL:. . 1.7% (10% LEL, 1,700 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 2,500 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Patty  reported that guinea pigs survived a 1-hour exposure to an atmosphere essentially saturated with vapor (estimated to be less than 4,000 ppm) [Lehmann and Flury 1943]. Because the data concerning the concentration is not very specific, the IDLH is based on the concentration of 2-ethoxyethylacetate in saturated air at 20 C (i.e., 2,600 ppm).
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Pozzani et al. 1959|
Smyth et al. 1941
Truhaut et al. 1979
|5,510 ppm (2.5) |
3,750 ppm (2.5)
>4,000 ppm (2.0)
|551 ppm |
Lethal dose data:
Isin et al. 1988
Smyth et al. 1941
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 500 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for 2-ethoxyethyl acetate is 500 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Pozzani et al. 1959; Smyth et al. 1941; Truhaut et al. 1979]. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of relevant inhalation acute toxicity data for workers.
1. Eastman Company . 8(e) submission to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Kingsport, TN: Tennessee Eastman Company, Status Report 8EHQ-0682-0450.
2. Isin OV, Plaksienko NF, et al. . Hygienic reglamentation of cellosolve content in water bodies. Gig Sanit 53(10):78-79 (in Russian).
3. Lehmann KB, Flury F, eds. . Toxicology and hygiene of industrial solvents. Translated by E. King and H.F. Smyth, Jr. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins Company, p. 290.
4. Patty FA, ed. . Industrial hygiene and toxicology. 2nd rev. ed. Vol. II. Toxicology. New York, NY: Interscience Publishers, Inc., p. 1589.
5. Pozzani UC, Weil CS, Carpenter CP . The toxicological basis of threshold limit values: 5. The experimental inhalation of vapor mixtures by rats, with notes upon the relationship between single dose inhalation and single dose oral data. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 20:364-369.
6. Smyth HF Jr, Seaton J, Fischer L . The single dose toxicity of some glycols and derivatives. J Ind Hyg Toxicol 23:259-268.
7. Truhaut R, Dutertre-Catella H, Phu-Lich N, Huyen
VN . Comparative toxicological study of ethylglycol acetate
and butylglycol acetate. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 51:117-127.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO