Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 109–99–9
NIOSH REL: 200 ppm (590 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (735 mg/m3) STEL
Current OSHA PEL: 200 ppm (590 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 200 ppm (590 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (735 mg/m3) STEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 200 ppm (590 mg/m3) TWA, 250 ppm (737 mg/m3) STEL
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with an ether-like odor.
LEL: . . . 2% (10% LEL, 2,000 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 20,000 ppm [LEL]
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: AIHA  reported that exposure to 25,000 ppm will cause anesthesia and that 17,000 ppm appears to be safe for 3 hours [Hofmann and Oettel 1954]. Therefore, 20,000 ppm has been chosen as the IDLH because it is the lower explosive limit (LEL) of tetrahydrofuran.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Rat||Horiguchi et al. 1984||21,000||-----||3 hr||37,800 ppm (1.8)||3,780 ppm|
Lethal dose data:
|Adjusted LD||Derived value|
Human data: It has been reported that exposure to 25,000 ppm
will cause anesthesia and 17,000 ppm appears to be safe for
3 hours [Hofmann and Oettel 1954].
|Revised IDLH: 2,000 ppm [LEL]
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on health considerations and acute inhalation toxicity data in humans [Hofmann and Oettel 1954], a value of at least 17,000 ppm would have been appropriate for tetrahydrofuran. However, the revised IDLH is 2,000 ppm based strictly on safety considerations (i.e., being 10% of the lower explosive limit of 2%).
1. AIHA . Tetrahydrofuran. In: Hygienic guide series. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 20:250-251.
2. GAF . Material safety data sheet: Agrisynth THF. Wayne, NJ: GAF Chemicals Corporation, pp. 1-3.
3. Hofmann G, Oettel H . Zur frage der toxizitat von tetrahydrofuran. Arch Exp Pathol Pharmakol 222:233-235 (in German).
4. Horiguchi S, Teramoto K, Katahira T . Acute and repeated inhalation toxicity of tetrahydrofuran in laboratory animals. Sumitomo Sangyo Eisei (Sumitomo Industrial Health) 20:141-157.
5. Pozdnyakov AG . Materials on hygienic reglamentation of tetrahydrofuryl (THF) alcohol in water bodies. Gig Sanit 32(2):99-101 (in Russian).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO