Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 109–79–5
NIOSH REL: 0.5 ppm (1.8 mg/m3) 15-minute CEILING
Current OSHA PEL: 10 ppm (35 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 0.5 ppm (1.5 mg/m3) TWA
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 0.5 ppm (1.8 mg/m3) TWA
Description of Substance: Colorless liquid with a strong, garlic-, cabbage-, or skunk-like odor.
LEL: . . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 2,500 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the mouse 4-hour LC50 of 2,500 ppm [Fairchild and Stokinger 1958] cited by ACGIH . It was also chosen to make the IDLH for butyl mercaptan consistent with the IDLH of 2,500 ppm for ethyl mercaptan, a compound with similar acute toxicity.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Fairchild and Stokinger 1958|
Fairchild and Stokinger 1958
|8,040 ppm (2.0)|
5,000 ppm (2.0)
770 ppm (1.0)
|804 ppm |
Human data: Accidental exposure for 1 hour to an estimated
concentration of 50 to 500 ppm has been reported to cause
muscular weakness, malaise, sweating, nausea, vomiting, headache,
and confusion [Gobbato and Terribile 1968].
|Revised IDLH: 500 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for n-butyl mercaptan is 500 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in workers [Gobbato and Terribile 1968] and animals [Fairchild and Stokinger 1958], and to be consistent with ethyl mercaptan which has a revised IDLH of 500 ppm.
1. ACGIH . n-Butyl mercaptan (n-butanethiol). In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, p. 34.
2. Fairchild EJ II, Stokinger HE . Toxicologic studies on organic sulfur compounds. I. Acute toxicity of some aliphatic and aromatic thiols (mercaptans). Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 19:171-189.
3. Gobbato F, Terribile PM . Toxicological properties of mercaptans. Folia Medica 51:329-341. [From ACGIH . n-Butyl mercaptan. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values and biological exposure indices. 6th ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 183-184.]
4. Marhold J . Prehled prumyslove toxikologie: organicke
latky. Prague, Czechoslovakia: Avicenum, p. 982 (in Czechoslovakian).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO