Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 108–21–4
NIOSH REL: The 1989 OSHA PEL may not be protective to workers.
Current OSHA PEL: 250 ppm (950 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 250 ppm (950 mg/m3) TWA, 310 ppm (1,185 mg/m3) STEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 250 ppm (1,040 mg/m3) TWA, 310 ppm (1,290 mg/m3) STEL
Description of substance: Colorless liquid with a fruity odor.
LEL(@100°F): 1.8% (10% LEL(@100°F), 1,800 ppm)
Original (SCP) IDLH: 16,000 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: The chosen IDLH is based on the UCC  report that a 4-hour exposure to 16,000 ppm killed 1 of 6 rats.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Time||Adjusted 0.5-hr |
|Pozzani et al. 1959 |
Smyth et al. 1954
Smyth et al. 1954
|8 hr |
|29,795 ppm (2.5) |
64,000 ppm (2.0)
32,000 ppm (2.0)
|2,980 ppm |
Other animal data: It has been stated that isopropyl acetate is comparable in toxicity to ethyl acetate and n-propyl acetate [ACGIH 1991].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 1,800 ppm |
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for isopropyl acetate is 1,800 ppm based on analogies to ethyl acetate and n-propyl acetate [ACGIH 1991]. This value is also 10% of the lower explosive limit of 1.8% (which was determined at 100°F).
1. ACGIH . Isopropyl acetate. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values and biological exposure indices. 6th ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 826-827.
2. Pozzani UC, Weil CS, Carpenter CP . The toxicological basis of threshold limit values: 5. The experimental inhalation of vapor mixtures by rats, with notes upon the relationship between single dose inhalation and single dose oral data. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 20:364-369.
3. Smyth HF Jr, Carpenter CP, Weil CS, Pozzani UC . Range-finding toxicity data: list V. AMA Arch Ind Hyg Occup Med 10:61-68.
4. UCC . Toxicology studies: isopropyl acetate. New York, NY: Union Carbide Corporation.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO