Documentation for Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentrations (IDLHs)
CAS number: 10025–67–9
NIOSH REL: 1 ppm (6 mg/m3) CEILING
Current OSHA PEL: 1 ppm (6 mg/m3) TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 1 ppm (6 mg/m3) CEILING
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 1 ppm (5.5 mg/m3) CEILING
Description of substance: Light-amber to yellow-red, oily liquid with a pungent, nauseating, irritating odor.
LEL: . . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH: 10 ppm
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Very little data are available on which to base the IDLH for sulfur monochloride. The chosen IDLH has been estimated from the statement by ACGIH  that 12 ppm for 15 minutes was tolerated by cats, but four times that concentration, also for 15 minutes, could lead to death after a few days [Flury and Zernik 1931]. No other useful data are available on which to base the IDLH.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA:
Lethal concentration data:
|Mouse||Flury & Zernik 1931||-----||150||1 min||48 ppm (0.32)||4.8 ppm|
|Cat||Henderson & Haggard 1943||LC100: 60||-----||15 min||47 ppm (0.79)||4.7 ppm|
Other animal data: It has been reported that cats have tolerated 15-minute exposures to 12 ppm, while 48 ppm could lead to death after a few days [Flury and Zernik 1931].
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised
|Revised IDLH: 5 ppm
Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for sulfur monochloride is 5 ppm based on acute inhalation toxicity data in animals [Flury and Zernik 1931; Henderson and Haggard 1943].
1. ACGIH . Sulfur monochloride. In: Documentation of the threshold limit values for substances in workroom air. 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, pp. 240-241.
2. Flury F, Zernik F . Schädliche gase dämpfe, nebel, rauch- und staubarten. Berlin, Germany: Verlag von Julius Springer, pp. 146-147 (in German).
3. Henderson Y, Haggard HW . Noxious gases. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Reinhold Publishing Corporation, p. 130.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO