NIOSH Docket Number 237-A, CDC-2013-0015
Personal Protective Technology Program and National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory Conformity Assessment
This docket (NIOSH 237-A) was open until December 2, 2013. All comments are being assessed by NIOSH and the proposed national framework for the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) conformity assessment is being revised. As necessary, NIOSH will hold an additional public meeting to report its assessment and actions associated with establishing final recommendations. In consideration of those comments, NIOSH has already initiated a dialogue with US conformity assessment bodies in an effort to expand awareness of the US conformity assessment infrastructure and the role these organizations might play in a national framework. NIOSH is strengthening its partnership with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in this endeavor. The report on EU conformity assessment is considered finalized. The PPEPro database of standards has been more fully developed and populated with more information related to PPE standards. Over the next few months, beginning in January, the database will be beta tested. NIOSH is initiating a dialogue with standard development organizations to explore the roles that they can play in advancing and maintaining the database. The PPEPro database will be launched for public use in 2014.
The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Background Information are provided below. To view comments submitted on the proposed rule visit http://www.regulations.gov, enter "CDC-2013-0015" in the search field, then click "Search".
Federal Register Notices:
Federal Register Notice; 78 FR 49524 [PDF - 174 KB]
- Draft report: The Scope of a National Framework for Conformity Assessment of Non-respiratory Personal Protective Technologies [PDF - 740 KB]
- Meeting Agenda [PDF - 345 KB]
- The European Union's System of Conformity Assessment for Personal Protective Equipment: Final Report [PDF - 5,052 KB]
- Personal Protective Equipment Conformity Assessment Working Group: Summary Report - DRAFT [PDF - 3,821 KB]
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO