Hearing Loss in Children
Families may wish to seek out relationships with people and with groups for support.
Parents, adults who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, advocacy groups, personal supports such as family, friends and clergy, and other resources make up a family's community support network. Some families find support groups for parents and siblings very helpful.
These working relationships and friendships can lead to support for your child and family for many years.
We hope the information on this CD-ROM was helpful. Please remember that there are many interventions to consider. We believe that the decision-making process belongs to each individual family. If you have comments or questions about anything in this CD, please contact us. We would like to hear from you.
Audiologist: A professional trained to test hearing by performing audiology evaluations.
Audiology Evaluation: A complete hearing evaluation performed by an audiologist. The evaluations include:
- A test that will tell the audiologist how your baby's outer and middle ear are working.
- A test that measures how your baby reacts to sounds.
- A test that checks the ears' response to sound.
- A test that checks the brain's response to sound.
The audiologist will ask you questions about your baby's health, hearing loss in you family, and how well you think your baby hears.
Intervention Services: Intervention services are types of services available for children and their families. An intervention service might be:
- Meeting with a professional (or team) who is trained to work with children that have a hearing loss, and their families
- Working with a professional (or team) that can help a family and child learn to communicate
- Fitting a baby with a hearing device, such as a hearing aid
- Joining family support groups
- Other services available to children with a hearing loss and their families
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities
Hearing Loss Team
1600 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
New Hours of Operation