Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Health equity: the challenge
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec;36(6):513-4.
- Inequity in childhood immunization in India: a systematic review
Indian Pediatr. 2012 Mar;49(3):203-23.
- Factors associated with differential uptake of seasonal influenza immunizations among underserved communities during the 2009-2010 influenza season
Vlahov D, Bond KT, Jones KC, Ompad DC.
J Community Health. 2012 Apr;37(2):282-7.
- Discussing vaccination with concerned patients: an evidence-based resource for healthcare providers
Blendell RL, Fehr JL.
J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2012 Jul-Sep;26(3):230-41.
- Measles: the burden of preventable deaths
Orenstein WA, Hinman AR.
Lancet. 2012 Jun 9;379(9832):2130-1.
- What is health equity: and how does a life-course approach take us further toward it?
Matern Child Health J. 2013 Feb 10.
- Hepatitis A vaccination coverage among adolescents in the United States
Dorell CG, Yankey D, Byrd KK, Murphy TV.
Pediatrics. 2012 Feb;129(2):213-21.
- Vaccination coverage among American Indian and Alaska Native children, 2006-2010
Groom AV, Santibanez TA, Bryan RT.
Pediatrics. 2012 Dec;130(6):e1592-9.
- Unvaccinated children in years of increasing coverage: how many and who are they? Evidence from 96 low- and middle-income countries
Bosch-Capblanch X, Banerjee K, Burton A.
Trop Med Int Health. 2012 Jun;17(6):697-710.
- Projected health and economic impact of rotavirus vaccination in GAVI-eligible countries: 2011-2030
Atherly DE, Lewis KD, Tate J, Parashar UD, Rheingans RD.
Vaccine. 2012 Apr 27;30 Suppl 1:A7-14.
- Trends in vaccination coverage disparities among children, United States, 2001-2010
Zhao Z, Smith PJ.
Vaccine. 2013 Mar 22.
- Compulsory vaccination, the Constitution, and the hepatitis B mandate for infants and young children
Yale J Health Policy Law Ethics. 2012 Winter;12(1):39-86.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Trends in predicted 10-year risk of coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease among US adults from 1999 to 2010
J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Apr 3.
- Factors associated with asthma prevalence among racial and ethnic groups-United States, 2009-2010 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
Zahran HS, Bailey C.
J Asthma. 2013 Apr 11.
- PML diagnostic criteria: consensus statement from the AAN Neuroinfectious Disease Section
Berger JR, Aksamit AJ, Clifford DB, Davis L, Koralnik IJ, Sejvar JJ, Bartt R, Major EO, Nath A.
Neurology. 2013 Apr 9;80(15):1430-1438.
- Aminoglycoside cross-resistance in mycobacterium tuberculosis due to mutations in the 5' untranslated region of whiB7
Reeves AZ, Campbell PJ, Sultana R, Malik S, Murray M, Plikaytis BB, Shinnick TM, Posey JE.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Apr;57(4):1857-65.
- Hepatitis E virus infection in a liver transplant recipient in the United States: a case report
Te HS, Drobeniuc J, Kamili S, Dong C, Hart J, Sharapov UM.
Transplant Proc. 2013 Mar;45(2):810-3.
- Measles transmission during air travel, United States, December 1, 2008-December 31, 2011
Nelson K, Marienau K, Schembri C, Redd S.
Travel Med Infect Dis. 2013 Apr 2.
- A study evaluating poliovirus antibodies and risk factors associated with polio seropositivity in low socioeconomic areas of Pakistan
Habib M, Soofi S, Ali N, Sutter RW, Palansch M, Qureshi H, Akhtar T, Molodecky NA, Okayasu H, Bhutta ZA.
Vaccine. 2013 Apr 8;31(15):1987-93.
- Seroprevalence of Powassan virus in New England deer, 1979-2010
Nofchissey RA, Deardorff ER, Blevins TM, Anishchenko M, Bosco-Lauth A, Berl E, Lubelczyk C, Mutebi JP, Brault AC, Ebel GD, Magnarelli LA.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Apr 8.
- Emergence potential of sylvatic dengue virus type 4 in the urban transmission cycle is restrained by vaccination and homotypic immunity
Durbin AP, Mayer SV, Rossi SL, Amaya-Larios IY, Ramos-Castaneda J, Eong Ooi E, Jane Cardosa M, Munoz-Jordan JL, Tesh RB, Messer WB, Weaver SC, Vasilakis N.
Virology. 2013 Apr 25;439(1):34-41.
- GeoSentinel surveillance of illness in returned travelers, 2007-2011
Leder K, Torresi J, Libman MD, Cramer JP, Castelli F, Schlagenhauf P, Wilder-Smith A, Wilson ME, Keystone JS, Schwartz E, Barnett ED, von Sonnenburg F, Brownstein JS, Cheng AC, Sotir MJ, Esposito DH, Freedman DO.
Ann Intern Med. 2013 Mar 19;158(6):456-68.
- Using a state cancer registry to recruit young breast cancer survivors and high-risk relatives: protocol of a randomized trial testing the efficacy of a targeted versus a tailored intervention to increase breast cancer screening
Katapodi MC, Northouse LL, Schafenacker AM, Duquette D, Duffy SA, Ronis DL, Anderson B, Janz NK, McLosky J, Milliron KJ, Merajver SD, Duong LM, Copeland G.
BMC Cancer. 2013 ;13:97.
- The effect of multiple primary rules on population-based cancer survival
Weir HK, Johnson CJ, Thompson TD.
Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Apr 5.
- Using population-based data to examine preventive services by disability type among dually eligible (Medicare/Medicaid) adults
Reichard A, Fox MH.
Disabil Health J. 2013 Apr;6(2):75-86.
- Sickle cell disease incidence among newborns in New York State by maternal race/ethnicity and nativity
Wang Y, Kennedy J, Caggana M, Zimmerman R, Thomas S, Berninger J, Harris K, Green NS, Oyeku S, Hulihan M, Grant AM, Grosse SD.
Genet Med. 2013 Mar;15(3):222-8.
- Neuraminidase inhibitor susceptibility surveillance of influenza viruses circulating worldwide during the 2011 Southern Hemisphere season
Okomo-Adhiambo M, Sleeman K, Lysen C, Nguyen HT, Xu X, Li Y, Klimov AI, Gubareva LV.
Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2013 Apr 10.
- Detailed molecular epidemiologic characterization of HIV-1 infection in Bulgaria reveals broad diversity and evolving phylodynamics
Ivanov IA, Beshkov D, Shankar A, Hanson DL, Paraskevis D, Georgieva V, Karamacheva L, Taskov H, Varleva T, Elenkov I, Stoicheva M, Nikolova D, Switzer WM.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(3):e59666.
- Incorporating the service multiplier method in respondent-driven sampling surveys to estimate the size of hidden and hard-to-reach populations: case studies from around the world
Johnston LG, Prybylski D, Raymond HF, Mirzazadeh A, Manopaiboon C, McFarland W.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Apr;40(4):304-10.
- Campylobacter jejuni infections associated with unpasteurized milk -- multiple states, 2012
Longenberger AH, Palumbo A, Chu A, Moll M, Weltman A, Ostroff S.
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Apr 10.
- An outbreak of foodborne illness among attendees of a wedding reception in Wisconsin likely caused by Arcobacter butzleri
Lappi V, Archer JR, Cebelinski E, Leano F, Besser JM, Klos RF, Medus C, Smith KE, Fitzgerald C, Davis JP.
Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2013 Mar;10(3):250-5.
- RIG-I goes beyond naked recognition
Bowzard JB, Ranjan P, Sambhara S.
Cell Host Microbe. 2013 Mar 13;13(3):247-9.
- Relationships between selected gene polymorphisms and blood pressure sensitivity to weight loss in elderly persons with hypertension
Kostis WJ, Cabrera J, Hooper WC, Whelton PK, Espeland MA, Cosgrove NM, Cheng JQ, Deng Y, De Staerck C, Pyle M, Maruthur N, Reyes I, Anderson CA, Liu J, Kostis JB.
Hypertension. 2013 Apr;61(4):857-63.
- Mutation of the dengue virus type 2 envelope protein heparan sulfate binding sites or the domain III lateral ridge blocks replication in Vero cells prior to membrane fusion
Roehrig JT, Butrapet S, Liss NM, Bennett SL, Luy BE, Childers T, Boroughs KL, Stovall JL, Calvert AE, Blair CD, Huang CY.
Virology. 2013 Apr 6.
- Dose-response associations between number and frequency of substance use and high-risk sexual behaviors among HIV-negative substance-using men who have sex with men (SUMSM) in San Francisco
Santos GM, Coffin PO, Das M, Matheson T, Demicco E, Raiford JL, Vittinghoff E, Dilley JW, Colfax G, Herbst JH.
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013 Apr 8.
- Dietary sodium intake: knowledge, attitudes and practices in Shandong Province, China, 2011
Zhang J, Xu AQ, Ma JX, Shi XM, Guo XL, Engelgau M, Yan LX, Li Y, Li YC, Wang HC, Lu ZL, Zhang JY, Liang XF.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(3):e58973.
- Real-time treatment guidelines: considerations during the Exserohilum rostratum outbreak in the United States
Pappas PG, Kontoyiannis DP, Perfect JR, Chiller TM.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Apr;57(4):1573-6.
- State-level cancer treatment costs: how much and who pays?
Tangka FK, Trogdon JG, Ekwueme DU, Guy GP, Nwaise I, Orenstein D.
Cancer. 2013 Apr 4.
- Vaccination for typhoid fever in sub-Saharan Africa
Slayton RB, Date KA, Mintz ED.
Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013 Apr 1;9(4).
- Unintentional transfer of vaccinia virus associated with smallpox vaccines: ACAM2000 (R) compared with Dryvax (R)
Tack DM, Karem KL, Montgomery JR, Collins L, Bryant-Genevier MG, Tiernan R, Cano M, Lewis P, Engler RJ, Damon IK, Reynolds MG.
Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013 Apr 9;9(7).
- Comparison of dried blood spot to venous methods for hemoglobin A1c, glucose, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and C-reactive protein
Lacher DA, Berman LE, Chen TC, Porter KS.
Clin Chim Acta. 2013 Apr 5.
- 2012 HIV Diagnostics Conference: the molecular diagnostics perspective
Branson BM, Pandori M.
Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2013 Apr;13(3):243-5.
- Increased recognition of non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections in the United States during 2000-2010: epidemiologic features and comparison with E. coli O157 infections
Gould LH, Mody RK, Ong KL, Clogher P, Cronquist AB, Garman KN, Lathrop S, Medus C, Spina NL, Webb TH, White PL, Wymore K, Gierke RE, Mahon BE, Griffin PM.
Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2013 Apr 6.
- Assessment of hydroxylated metabolites of polychlorinated biphenyls as potential xenoestrogens: a QSAR comparative analysis
Ruiz P, Myshkin E, Quigley P, Faroon O, Wheeler JS, Mumtaz MM, Brennan RJ.
SAR QSAR Environ Res. 2013 Apr 5.
- Simvastatin and oseltamivir combination therapy does not improve the effectiveness of oseltamivir alone following highly pathogenic avian H5N1 influenza virus infection in mice
Belser JA, Szretter KJ, Katz JM, Tumpey TM.
Virology. 2013 Apr 25;439(1):42-6.
- Dietary supplement use and smoking are important correlates of biomarkers of water-soluble vitamin status after adjusting for sociodemographic and lifestyle variables in a representative sample of U.S. adults
Pfeiffer CM, Sternberg MR, Schleicher RL, Rybak ME.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 10.
- Adiposity, muscle, and physical activity: predictors of perturbations in heart rate variability
Andrew ME, Shengqiao L, Wactawski-Wende J, Dorn JP, Mnatsakanova A, Charles LE, Fekedulegn D, Miller DB, Violanti JM, Burchfiel CM, Sharp DS.
Am J Hum Biol. 2013 Apr 6.
- Assessment of ALS mortality in a cohort of formaldehyde-exposed garment workers
Pinkerton LE, Hein MJ, Meyers A, Kamel F.
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2013 Apr 9.
- Pulmonary toxicity and fibrogenic response of carbon nanotubes
Manke A, Wang L, Rojanasakul Y.
Toxicol Mech Methods. 2013 Mar;23(3):196-206.
- The effect of performance indicator category on estimates of intervention effectiveness
Int J Qual Health Care. 2013 Apr 9.
- Long-acting reversible contraception for adolescents and young adults: patient and provider perspectives
Kavanaugh ML, Frohwirth L, Jerman J, Popkin R, Ethier K.
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013 Apr;26(2):86-95.
- Neurologic melioidosis in an imported pigtail macaque (Macaca nemestrina)
Ritter JM, Sanchez S, Jones TL, Zaki SR, Drew CP.
Vet Pathol. 2013 Apr 10.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.