Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- Indoor tanning and non-melanoma skin cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis
Wehner MR, Shive ML, Chren MM, Han J, Qureshi AA, Linos E.
BMJ. 2012 ;345:e5909.
- Dietary patterns, inflammation and the metabolic syndrome
Ahluwalia N, Andreeva VA, Kesse-Guyot E, Hercberg S.
Diabetes Metab. 2012 Oct 10.
- Trends in lipids and lipoproteins in US adults, 1988-2010
Carroll MD, Kit BK, Lacher DA, Shero ST, Mussolino ME.
JAMA. 2012 Oct 17;308(15):1545-54.
- Early uptake of HIV clinical care after testing HIV-positive during home-based testing and counseling in western Kenya
Medley A, Ackers M, Amolloh M, Owuor P, Muttai H, Audi B, Sewe M, Laserson K.
AIDS Behav. 2012 Oct 18.
- Home-based HIV testing and counseling in rural and urban Kenyan communities
Dalal W, Feikin DR, Amolloh M, Ransom R, Burke H, Lugalia F, Ouma A, Laserson KF, Mermin J, Breiman RF, Bunnell R.
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Oct 15.
- A systematic meta-review of evaluations of youth violence prevention programs: common and divergent findings from 25 years of meta-analyses and systematic reviews
Matjasko JL, Vivolo-Kantor AM, Massetti GM, Holland KM, Holt MK, Dela Cruz J.
Aggress Violent Behav. 2012 November;17(6):540-552.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Cervical cancer screening measures need to evolve to continue to tell the story
Saraiya M, Watson M, Benard VB.
J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012 Oct 16.
- Medical care and payment for diabetes in China: enormous threat and great opportunity
Yang W, Zhao W, Xiao J, Li R, Zhang P, Kissimova-Skarbek K, Schneider E, Jia W, Ji L, Guo X, Shan Z, Liu J, Tian H, Chen L, Zhou Z, Ji Q, Ge J, Chen G, Brown J.
PLoS One. 2012 ;7(9):e39513.
- Suboptimal adherence to repeat testing recommendations for men and women with positive chlamydia tests in the United States, 2008-2010
Hoover KW, Tao G, Nye MB, Body BA.
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Oct 16.
- Tuberculosis caused by RD(Rio) Mycobacterium tuberculosis is not associated with differential clinical features
De Barbosa CB, Lazzarini LC, Elias AR, Leung JA, Ribeiro SB, Da Silva MG, Duarte RS, Suffys P, Gomes HM, Kritski AL, Lapa ES, Ho JL, Boechat N.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 October;16(10):1377-1382.
- 2011: the year in review. Part II: tuberculosis and lung disease
Iademarco MF, Koh WJ.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 October;16(10):1291-1299.
- Predictors of sputum culture conversion among patients treated for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
Kurbatova E, Gammino VM, Bayona J, Becerra MC, Danilovitz M, Falzon D, Gelmanova I, Keshavjee S, Leimane V, Mitnick CD, Quelapio MI, Riekstina V, Taylor A, Viiklepp P, Zignol M, Cegielski JP.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 October;16(10):1335-1343.
- Prevalence and associations of genital ulcer and urethral pathogens in men presenting with genital ulcer syndrome to primary health care clinics in South Africa
Lewis DA, Muller E, Steele L, Sternberg M, Radebe F, Lyall M, Ballard RC, Paz-Bailey G.
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov;39(11):880-885.
- Emergence of increased azithromycin resistance during unsuccessful treatment of Neisseria gonorrhoeae infection with azithromycin (Portland, OR, 2011)
Soge OO, Harger D, Schafer S, Toevs K, Raisler KA, Venator K, Holmes KK, Kirkcaldy RD.
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov;39(11):877-9.
- Prevalence of the 23S rRNA A2058G point mutation and molecular subtypes in Treponema pallidum in the United States, 2007 to 2009
Su JR, Pillay A, Hook EW, Ghanem KG, Wong W, Jackson D, Smith LD, Pierce E, Philip SS, Wilson S, Golden MR, Workowski KA, Chi KH, Parrish DD, Chen CY, Weinstock HS.
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 October;39(10):794-798.
- US screening of international travelers for radioactive contamination after the Japanese nuclear plant disaster in March 2011
Wilson T, Chang A, Berro A, Still A, Brown C, Demma A, Nemhauser J, Martin C, Salame-Alfie A, Fisher-Tyler F, Smith L, Grady-Erickson O, Alvarado-Ramy F, Brunette G, Ansari A, McAdam D, Marano N.
Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2012 Oct;6(3):291-6.
- Individual and community influences on adherence to directives in the event of a plague attack: survey results
Wray RJ, Harris JK, Jupka K, Vijaykumar S, Mitchell EW, Pollard W, Zielinski-Gutierrez E, Reissman D, Lubell K.
Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2012 Oct;6(3):253-62.
- Eastern equine encephalitis in moose (Alces americanus) in northeastern Vermont
Mutebi JP, Swope BN, Saxton-Shaw KD, Graham AC, Turmel JP, Berl E.
J Wildl Dis. 2012 Oct;48(4):1109-12.
- Obstructive lung disease and exposure to burning biomass fuel in the indoor environment
Diette GB, Accinelli RA, Balmes JR, Buist AS, Checkley W, Garbe P, Hansel NN, Kapil V, Gordon S, Lagat DK, Yip F, Mortimer K, Perez-Padilla R, Roth C, Schwaninger JM, Punturieri A, Kiley JP.
Glob Heart. 2012 September;7(3):265-270.
- A system-based intervention to improve postpartum diabetes screening among women with gestational diabetes
Vesco KK, Dietz PM, Bulkley J, Bruce FC, Callaghan WM, England L, Kimes T, Bachman DJ, Hartinger KJ, Hornbrook MC.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Oct;207(4):283 e1-6.
- Secondary mapping of lymphatic filariasis in Haiti-definition of transmission foci in low-prevalence settings
Drexler N, Washington CH, Lovegrove M, Grady C, Milord MD, Streit T, Lammie P.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012 Oct;6(10):e1807.
- Diversity and relationships of cocirculating modern human rotaviruses revealed using large-scale comparative genomics
McDonald SM, McKell AO, Rippinger CM, McAllen JK, Akopov A, Kirkness EF, Payne DC, Edwards KM, Chappell JD, Patton JT.
J Virol. 2012 Sep;86(17):9148-62.
- Has the use of complementary and alternative medicine therapies by U.S. adults with chronic disease-related functional limitations changed from 2002 to 2007?
Okoro CA, Zhao G, Li C, Balluz LS.
J Altern Complement Med. 2012 Oct 16.
- Reducing the global burden of congenital rubella syndrome
Reef SE, Chu SY, Cochi SL, Kezaala R, van den Ent M, Gay A, de Quadros C, Strebel PM.
Lancet. 2012 Sep 29;380(9848):1145-6.
- Monitoring of rotavirus vaccination in Morocco: establishing the baseline burden of rotavirus disease
Benhafid M, Rguig A, Trivedi T, Elqazoui M, Teleb N, Mouane N, Maltouf AF, Parashar U, Patel M, Aouad RE.
Vaccine. 2012 Oct 12;30(46):6515-20.
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention and primary prevention of knee osteoarthritis
Hootman JM, Albohm MJ.
J Athl Train. 2012 ;47(5):589-90.
- Identification of cellular proteins required for replication of human immunodeficiency virus type 1
Dziuba N, Ferguson MR, O'Brien WA, Sanchez A, Prussia AJ, McDonald NJ, Friedrich BM, Li G, Shaw MW, Sheng J, Hodge TW, Rubin DH, Murray JL.
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012 Oct;28(10):1329-39.
- Longitudinal assessment of pigtailed macaque lower genital tract microbiota by pyrosequencing reveals dissimilarity to the genital microbiota of healthy humans
Spear GT, Kersh E, Guenthner P, Vishwanathan SA, Gilbert D, Zariffard MR, Mirmonsef P, Landay A, Zheng L, Gillevet P.
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012 Oct;28(10):1244-9.
- Simultaneous analysis of 28 urinary VOC metabolites using ultra high performance liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC-ESI/MSMS)
Alwis KU, Blount BC, Britt AS, Patel D, Ashley DL.
Anal Chim Acta. 2012 Oct 31;750:152-60.
- Dustiness of fine and nanoscale powders
Evans DE, Turkevich LA, Roettgers CT, Deye GJ, Baron PA.
Ann Occup Hyg. 2012 Oct 12.
- Release of beryllium into artificial airway epithelial lining fluid
Stefaniak AB, Virji MA, Day GA.
Arch Environ Occup Health. 2012 Oct;67(4):219-28.
- Comparison of Ahlstrom grade 226, Munktell TFN, and Whatman 903 filter papers for dried blood spot (DBS) specimen collection and subsequent HIV-1 viral load and drug-resistance genotyping analysis
Rottinghaus E, Bile E, Modukanele M, Maruping M, Mine M, Nkengasong J, Yang C.
J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Oct 17.
- Recovery of diverse microbes in high turbidity surface water samples using dead-end ultrafiltration
Mull B, Hill VR.
J Microbiol Methods. 2012 Oct 11.
- Multilocus sequence typing of Histoplasma capsulatum in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues from cats living in non-endemic regions reveals a new phylogenetic clade
Balajee SA, Hurst SF, Chang LS, Miles M, Beeler E, Hale C, Kasuga T, Benedict K, Chiller T, Lindsley MD.
Med Mycol. 2012 Oct 17.
- Nanoscale reference materials for environmental, health, and safety measurements: needs, gaps, and opportunities
Stefaniak AB, Hackley VA, Roebben G, Ehara K, Hankin S, Postek MT, Lynch I, Fu WE, Linsinger TP, Thunemann AF.
Nanotoxicology. 2012 Oct 12.
- Molecular characterization of invasive meningococcal isolates from countries in the African meningitis belt before introduction of a serogroup A conjugate vaccine
Caugant DA, Kristiansen PA, Wang X, Mayer LW, Taha MK, Ouedraogo R, Kandolo D, Bougoudogo F, Sow S, Bonte L.
PLoS One. 2012 ;7(9):e46019.
- Self-reported hand symptoms: a role in monitoring health care workers for latex sensitization?
Wang ML, Kelly KJ, Klancnik M, Petsonk EL.
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012 Nov;109(5):314-8.
- A proposed theory on biodynamic frequency weighting for hand-transmitted vibration exposure
Dong RG, Welcome DE, McDowell TW, Xu XS, Krajnak K, Wu JZ.
Ind Health. 2012 ;50(5):412-24.
- Frequency-dependent effects of vibration on physiological systems: experiments with animals and other human surrogates
Krajnak K, Riley DA, Wu J, McDowell T, Welcome DE, Xu XS, Dong RG.
Ind Health. 2012 ;50(5):343-53.
- Intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine: the controversy continues
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Oct;55(8):1103-5.
- Meaningful, measurable, and manageable approaches to evaluating healthy food financing initiatives: an overview of resources and approaches
Fleischhacker SE, Flournoy R, Moore LV.
J Public Health Manag Pract. 2012 Oct 12.
- Convergence of non-communicable and infectious diseases in low- and middle-income countries
Remais JV, Zeng G, Li G, Tian L, Engelgau MM.
Int J Epidemiol. 2012 Oct 13.
- Blood pressure measurement prior to initiating hormonal contraception: a systematic review
Tepper NK, Curtis KM, Steenland MW, Marchbanks PA.
Contraception. 2012 Oct 10.
- Effects of gastric bypass surgery on female reproductive function
Legro RS, Dodson WC, Gnatuk CL, Estes SJ, Kunselman AR, Meadows JW, Kesner JS, Krieg EF, Rogers AM, Haluck RS, Cooney RN.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Oct 12.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Updated recommendations for client- and provider-oriented interventions to increase breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening
Community Preventive Services Task Force.
Am J Prev Med. 2012 Jul;43(1):92-6.
- Effectiveness of interventions to increase screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers: nine updated systematic reviews for the Guide to Community Preventive Services
Sabatino SA, Lawrence B, Elder R, Mercer SL, Wilson KM, DeVinney B, Community Preventive Services Task Force.
Am J Prev Med. 2012 Jul;43(1):97-118.
- Cost-effectiveness of a tailored intervention designed to increase breast cancer screening among a non-adherent population: a randomized controlled trial
Ishikawa Y, Hirai K, Saito H, Fukuyoshi J, Yonekura A, Harada K, Seki A, et al.
BMC Public Health. 2012 Sep 11;12(1):760.
- Beliefs about optimal age and screening frequency predict breast screening adherence in a prospective study of female relatives from the Ontario site of the Breast Cancer Family Registry
Ritvo P, Edwards SA, Glendon G, Mirea L, Knight JA, Andrulis IL, Chiarelli AM.
BMC Public Health. 2012 ;12:518.
- The Connecticut experiment: the role of ultrasound in the screening of women with dense breasts
Weigert J, Steenbergen S.
Breast J. 2012 Sep 26.
- Beneficial effects of a combined navigator/promotora approach for Hispanic women diagnosed with breast abnormalities
Dudley DJ, Drake J, Quinlan J, Holden A, Saegert P, Karnad A, Ramirez A.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Oct;21(10):1639-44.
- Patient navigation significantly reduces delays in breast cancer diagnosis in the District of Columbia
Hoffman HJ, Laverda NL, Young HA, Levine PH, Alexander LM, Brem R, Caicedo L, et al.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Oct;21(10):1655-63.
- Decision support by telephone: randomized controlled trial in a rural community setting
Belkora J, Stupar L, O'Donnell S, Loucks A, Moore D, Jupiter C, Johnson N.
Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Oct;89(1):134-42.
- Do women make an informed choice about participating in breast cancer screening? A survey among women invited for a first mammography screening examination
van Agt H, Fracheboud J, van der Steen A, de Koning H.
Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Sep 7.
- Factors facilitating acceptable mammography services for women with disabilities
Jarman MP, Bowling JM, Dickens P, Luken K, Yankaskas BC.
Womens Health Issues. 2012 Sep;22(5):e421-8.
- Social determinants of breast cancer screening in urban primary care practices: a community-engaged formative study
Mishra SI, Deforge B, Barnet B, Ntiri S, Grant L.
Womens Health Issues. 2012 Sep;22(5):e429-38.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.