Where Has Chikungunya Virus Been Found?
- Prior to 2013, chikungunya virus outbreaks had been identified in countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Indian and Pacific Oceans.
- In late 2013, the first local transmission of chikungunya virus in the Americas was identified in Caribbean countries and territories. Local transmission means that mosquitoes in the area have been infected with the virus and are spreading it to people.
- Since then, chikungunya virus has been spread to most countries throughout the Americas with more than 1 million suspected cases reported from affected areas (Updated data from the Pan American Health Organization).
- For information on current outbreaks, consult CDC's Traveler's Health website.
- Click here for more information on chikungunya in the United States.