Where Has Chikungunya Virus Been Found?
- Prior to 2013, chikungunya virus outbreaks had been identified in countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Indian and Pacific Oceans.
- In late 2013, the first local transmission of chikungunya virus in the Americas was identified in Caribbean countries and territories. Local transmission means that mosquitoes in the area have been infected with the virus and are spreading it to people.
- Since then, local transmission has been identified in 44 countries or territories throughout the Americas with more than 1.2 million suspected cases reported to the Pan American Health Organization from affected areas (Updated data from PAHO).
- For information on current outbreaks, consult CDC's Traveler's Health website.
- Click here for more information on chikungunya in the United States.