Publications by Year
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Shehab N, Richards, CL. Emergency hospitalizations for adverse drug events in older Americans. [PDF - 522 KB] N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2002-12
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC. The last mile: taking the final steps in preventing pediatric pharmaceutical poisonings. J Pediatr 2011; Nov 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Budnitz DS, Salis S. Preventing medication overdoses in young children: an opportunity for harm elimination. Pediatrics 2011;127:e1597-9.
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Crosby AE. Emergency department visits for overdoses of acetaminophen-containing products. [PDF - 258 KB] Am J Prev Med 2011;40:585-92
- Lovegrove MC, Shehab N, Hales CM, Poneleit K, Crane E, Budnitz DS. Emergency department visits for antiviral adverse events during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. Public Health Rep 2011;126:312-7.
- Manthripragada AD, Zhou EH, Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Willy ME. Characterization of acetaminophen overdose-related emergency department visits and hospitalizations in the United States. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2011;doi: 10.1002/pds.2090.
- Shehab N, Budnitz DS. Time to change the paradigm–from "potentially inappropriate" to real patient harms. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:473-4.
- Classen DC, Jaser L, Budnitz DS. Adverse drug events among hospitalized Medicare patients: epidemiology and national estimates from a new approach to surveillance. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2010;36:12-21.
- Shehab N, Schaefer MK, Kegler SR, Budnitz DS. Adverse events from cough and cold medications after a market withdrawal of products labeled for infants. Pediatrics 2010;126:1100-07
- Shehab N, Sperling LS, Kegler SR, Budnitz DS. National estimates of emergency department visits for hemorrhage-related adverse events from clopidogrel plus aspirin and from warfarin. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170:1926-33.
- Budnitz DS. Agreement between drugs-to-avoid criteria and expert assessments of problematic prescribing--invited commentary. Arch Intern Med 2009;169:1332-4.
- Budnitz DS, Lewis LL, Shehab N, Birnkrant D. CDC and FDA response to risk of confusion in dosing Tamiful oral suspension. N Engl J Med 2009;361:1913-4.
- Schillie SF, Shehab N, Thomas KE, Budnitz DS. Medication overdoses leading to emergency department visits among children. Am J Prev Med 2009;37:181-7.
- Willy M, Kelly JP, Nourjah P, Kaufman DW, Budnitz DS, Staffa J. Emergency department visits attributed to selected analgesics, United States, 2004-2005. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2009;18:188-95.
- Budnitz DS. Inappropriate medication use in hospitalized older adults--is it time for interventions? J Hosp Med 2008;3:87-90.
- Cohen AL, Budnitz DS, Weidenbach KN, Jernigan DB, Schroeder TJ, Shehab N, Pollock DA. National surveillance of emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events in children and adolescents. J Pediatr 2008;152:416-21.
- Hall AJ, Logan JE, Toblin RL, Kaplan JA, Kraner JC, Bixler D, Crosby AE, Paulozzi LJ. Patterns of abuse among unintentional pharmaceutical overdose fatalities. JAMA 2008;300:2613-20.
- Schaefer MK, Shehab N, Cohen AL, Budnitz DS. Adverse events from cough and cold medications in children Pediatrics 2008;121:783-7.
- Shehab N, Patel PR, Srinivasan A, Budnitz DS. Emergency department visits for antibiotic-associated adverse events. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:735-43.
- Editorial commentary: antibiotics for treatment of acute respiratory tract infections: decreasing benefit, increasing risk, and the irrelevance of antimicrobial resistance. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:744-6.
- Budnitz DS, Layde PM. Outpatient drug safety: new steps in an old direction. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007 Feb;16(2):160-5. Review.
- Budnitz DS, Shehab N, Kegler SR, Richards CL. Medication use leading to emergency department visits for adverse drug events in older adults. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:755-65.
- Jhung MA, Budnitz DS, Mendelsohn AB, Weidenbach KN, Nelson TD, Pollock DA. Evaluation and overview of the national electronic injury surveillance system-cooperative adverse drug event surveillance project (NEISS-CADES). [PDF - 421 KB] Medical Care 2007;45 (suppl 2):S96-S102.
- Infant deaths associated with cough and cold medications - two states, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007;56:1-4.
- Budnitz DS, Pollock DA, Weidenbach KN, Mendelsohn AB, Schroeder TJ, Annest JL. National surveillance of emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events. JAMA 2006;296:1858-66.
- Cohen AL, Jhung MA, Budnitz DS. Stimulant medications and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder. N Engl J Med 2006;354:2294-5.
- Paulozzi LJ, Budnitz DS, Xi Y. Increasing deaths from opioid analgesics in the United States. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2006;15:618-27.
- Nonfatal, unintentional medication exposures among young children, United States, 2001-2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2006;55:1-5. (Reprinted in JAMA 2006;295:882-4.)
- Ballesteros MF, Budnitz DS, Sanford CP, Gilchrist J, Agyekum GA, Butts J Increase in deaths due to methadone in North Carolina. JAMA 2003;290:40.
- Budnitz DS, Pollock D, Mendelsohn AB, Weidenbach KA, McDonald AK, Annest JL. Emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events: demonstration for a national surveillance system. Ann Emerg Med 2005;45:197-206.
- Assessing the national electronic injury surveillance system - cooperative adverse drug event surveillance project - six sites, United States, January 1-June 15, 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005;54:380-3.